Post your favorite cooking staples and condiments!

Meh, canola is pretty much as cheap as one can get without going into "vegetable" oil. Costs like $0.10 more per jug than soybean and is slightly healthier. Can also get wicked hot without starting to scorch.

My mother's side of the family comes from Acadia, so my culinary knowledge is... unusual. My brother left a rather large venison steak in the freezer, so that may end up getting used with some herbes salées and red pepper the next time I jar some. Maybe have some ditch beans with it.

Whatever you do, don't give a pregnant lady spruce tip tea.

1 Like

or guayusa or pioneer coffee for that matter.

I Keep and render deer, tallow, lard and duck fat, and avoid those oils like the plague. they're industrial runoff for the most part, and there's no way to vett or verify the source with current food regulations.

In practical terms (essentialy, short of expeller pressing it yourself) Canola, soybean, cottonseed, "vegetable" and olive are essentially interchangeable, and non-nitrogenated butter is better for you than all of them for the most part.

Because of the caffeine or because of possible complications? Spruce tip tea can act as an abortifacient for some people.

pioneer coffee has some abortifacent effects as well (depending on the composition, traditional preparations are actually caffeine free) and guayusa has high concentrations of other, non-caffeine xanthines that can cause more severe complications.

I like making my own spice mixes too;

North and South American, African, Asian, and sometimes even European /s.

3 Likes

Nice rack. I don't have the space for one, and I can't modify the existing structure, but I'm moving out by the end of the year, so that may change Soon™

what would you say are your most used ones?

My base for most of my American recipes would be onion, garlic, and either carrot or green pepper sauteed as a base, and then whatever spices I need. Most often? IDK, oregano, chili, cumin and smoked paprika for a mexican style feast. Oregano, basil, caraway for pizza sauce. Curried meat in gravy with some hot spice over rice with finely chopped fruits and raw veg sprinkled on top...that ones my favorite. I grew up in Ghana, Africa as a very young child and that was the dish I remember the most. My mom would ask what I wanted for my birthday dish and then make it for me .

3 Likes

Hecho en Mexico and one can find it on the shelf at Walmart.
Once I tried Herdez Salsa Verde, every other type of salsa tastes like swill to me.
I'm sure their Salsa Rojo is good too, but I prefer the green stuff.

Having cooked for years in NYC i can wholeheartedly say that i hate parsley. It's got a very strong taste that i can't seem to look past.

Many love it. Me? Fuck that shit. I'll do without.

1 Like

Salt. The main ingredient.

I can't stand people who dont use enough salt or any at all. Maybe it makes me a snob. But especially in pasta dishes, If i can't taste the salt at the end of my pallet when I'm eating your pasta, then i know your water wasnt salted enough. The water should taste almost like the beach water, except without the pee and poo.

2 Likes

pff, come back when you only cook with wildcrafted water

1 Like

That's not a beach water anymore, is it?

Haha, i guess not. Now im wondering how much feces and urine is in it by concentration. Im both interested and scared to find out!

My MLG fuel

3 Likes

You need this.

1 Like

I'm hooked on Tajin right now
http://www.tajin.com/products/tajin_clasico?LNG=1#0,1

2 Likes
1 Like

I use these enough to keep them on my counter.

nice soy sauce choice, my favorite is Sempio Jin Ganjang Gold (샘표 진간장 금) personallly, but I'm biased.

1 Like

I used to love Hewlett Packard Sauce while i was in UK...
Thank you for reminding me. I need to look around the stores here for it.

3 Likes