Post your DIY projects

WhamBam FBS. For the few prints that I did on it before my main board went kaput, its really good

I’m just keeping it functional at this point, and I’m going to buy the Prusa XL. I’m on the wait list for it, so.

That’s the whole point of the bltouch.

1 Like

Not only did I misread his comment, I didn’t look up what BLTouch was. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah, a BLTouch is amazing. Truly an innovation.

It seems super helpful, but the idea isn’t really new. It’s been used in various CNC-machining for a long time.
Have you seen the recent This Old Tone Video, where he is using surface mapping on his CNC-mill to easily engrave 2D patterns on 3D surfaces?

Except that’s where the bltouch iterates. rather than using a strain gauge, it uses a hall-effect sensor to detect movement in the probe pin, which means you’re not risking damaging the probe or the sensitive bed surface.

I understand that. I was just pointing out, that the idea and function of surface mapping wasn’t a new idea.
Regarding the Hall effect sensor. It’s purposefully not used in machining, because of it’s many potential ways of interfering with the signal measurements. Being it the material or the electrical noise from big motors etc.

One could even use a digital Vernier scale- like system for diction and probe resetting,

1 Like

interesting

Phone Stands, playing around in the woodshop I have some ideas at Phone Stand - lathama

3 Likes

Oh yeah, hall effect sensors really only work on a 3d printer because the EMI is much less

Even then, I’ve encountered some strange behavior with mine if I try to heat the hotend and take measurements at the same time.

Needed a small case for my 5yo’s build and since I wanted to reuse parts it had to fit a full ATX and average mid performance GPU. It also needed to be quiet!

You know the rules, high power, low cost, quiet, pick 2 (if your lucky). I dug around for weeks looking for a decent SFF case and none fit the bill. They either uses SFX or ATX PSU’s which require a mATX motherboard. They also focus too much on fitting 3.5" diskdrives which is a waste of space in a modern general use and gaming PC.

So rather than spend $300 on a high end small case, I spent a bit over $100 and built my own.

All done with hand held tools and some clamps since all my big power tools are for wood.

2 Likes

Ok but real talk that looks pretty sweet. What games does your kid play?

80% Minecraft, 10% Super Tux Racer, 10% GCompris

I repurposed an old laptop screen that has fairly good quality (for my uses) using wine boxes and the stand from an ancient low quality monitor.

It was a bit of a hobby project just to see if it would work but all is well for the moment.

Out of safety concerns, seing as I used wood from wine cases for the frame, I never leave the monitor plugged in when I’m not in the room. I might have to look for a safety upgrade there :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve could have made that for a 100$ here in Denmark. Some things are just ridiculously expensive here.

There is a certain charm to repurposing things into either new functions or just making them become functional again.

2 Likes

I’ve got three myself. And my youngest who’s also 5, all she can play is Minecraft. Not very good at it yet though. My older 2 seem to be more interested in Roblox lately

im on the fence with Roblox, some really shady practices and lots of RMT always makes me uncomfortable.

The case was about $100 and truth be told I went a bit over because a few things did not work. I had to get a different power switch than the one I started with, and I had to replace the PCIe riser cable because the one I planned to use hit the fans and stopped them from spinning.

All the rest of the gear, that cost money, I had a left over R5 3600, I got the motherboard and RAM used off this forum. I had the GPU as it came out of an older gaming PC. I upgraded my M.2 SSD and put the old one in this rig.

Totally understandable. Hope your kid enjoys their PC. Do you play any games with them?

Still. Some materials are just insanely expensive here. And importing items you can’t obtain locally, have been hit hard with taxes too here in the EU/ Denmark. :upside_down_face: