Post Your Classic or Nostalgic Games

VEGA STRIKE

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net

A game of many mods and conversions, including PGG and a star trek game that connects all the universes and adds time travel, Vega Strike is the basis of a lot of awesome games. It is also, itself, an awesome game. The basis of its creation was when the original devs were playing Elite and Wing Commander and wanted to make their own versions of the games. While they came up with many ideas, they finally landed on one version that they wanted for sure.

The game boasts the same features as PGG above, but as far as I know the story is self made. You make the story up as you go, or if its hidden I never found it.

Also you know how I mentioned that PGG was made on the 0.7 BETA of this game's engine? Yeah that was like in 2002 when dev was started on PGG.

1 Like

TACHYON: The Fringe

http://portingteam.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=23986&id=7484&full=1

Personally I only ever played the demo of this game but I SUUUUUUUPER WANT IT. You play as either a NASA scientist or a military personnel working for nasa.... You play as Spaceman Fucko on an adventure to not die ever and see a black hole. The game is..... Huge, lets say. While the game actually only lets you play the 7 hour story in base, there are hacks for it that let you play added stories made by fans. It is a very simple minded game, but the reason to play it is the beautiful visuals (mind you that my favorite games are 2004 back to 1992 so this, quake, hitman, Deus Ex, Fable, all look may better to me than modern games. Also the colors are so sharp I know what they are most of the time so my color blindness gets a rest from annoying me), the interesting story, and the great combat system. I highly recommend EVERYONE play this. It is well worth the time.

2 Likes

You may have noticed a lot of sim games, thats because thats all I have had on PC aside from CS and like puzzle masters 2 or some stupid shit. The LIST HAS NO END IN SIM LAND.

IL2 STORMIVIK / OPERATION WINTER PIERCE

OH
MY
GAD
THIS
GAME

GUYS

GUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

This game was the reason I ever liked aircraft. When I was a kid I had a gameboy, dialup, a Dell Inspiron B120 for school, and a library card. I didn't have money for no gat dam Nintendo DS, my GB color was what I had. No cable, antenna TV, and most of the time it didn't work. So, I would watch the clouds when there was nothing else to do. I thought of being up with them, still do, its why my photography focuses on the sky so much!

But one day, one fucking day, my mom was really stupid ond got me a library card. And the library had games, they had PC games I didn't need the CD for. So, I got this. Eventually I even had a flight stick for it that I got for my birthday. I played this religiously every day for 3 years until my sister whacked my laptop with a wii controller playing tennis.

This game has everything. It has a 1:1 physics engine, your plane can rattle apart in the air if you decide to fly out on the wrong day because THE FACTORY WORKERS WENT ON STRIKE FOR THREE DAYS AND THE PLANES WEREN'T PUT TOGETHER CORRECTLY. Every detail is nailed down in this game, and every date of something that happened in the russian military is in this game. You like flight sims, YOU WILL LOVE THIS GAME.

4 Likes

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

I like stealth games.

Fuck that I love stealth games.

This game is a combo of survival and stealth. Essentially you invented robots that want to kill you and now you have to make a portal to escape, BUT the parts are fucking everywhere and you have to travel between 5 islands to get everything. This is one of few survival games I like in that it actually poses a challenge rather than YOU NEED TO GO POO POO FIND A HOLE TO POO POO IN OH NO YOU DIED BECAUSE YOU NO GO POO POO IN A HOLE. It has no bullshit. Items are plentiful and things can go wrong when you REALLY DON'T WANT THEM TO and you have to improvise.

Splinter Cell

No need for pictures you know what this is. One of the first stealth games I ever played. The game allows for all sorts of situations to happen when you don't plan on it and demands you use the environment to your advantage. Any other description I give is a spoiler in my opinion.

2 Likes

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

No need for pictures here, Deus Ex Human Revolution is widely regarded as a good contender to sequel of the original game, even though its a prequel. You play as not JC Denton in Not Washington DC trying to Not Ask For Things in places you don't want to be. You bitch about the world for a while, meet your girlfriend at this new place you started working at after getting thrown out of your old job fighting with your boss, then your business you were hired to keep secure gets raided by spoopy robo men and you get killed in the process.

Through technowizardry and the power of piss filters you are now robotic Net JC Denton in Not Washington DC getting pushed into a world you never asked for, but nor did anyone else. You throughout the game must save lives, but also end them, making difficult choices along the way while also reading amazing lore and learning about complicated global politics.

Spoiler Warning

In my opinion the original game is actually shit. The game doesn't get good until around the end of the china hub where you start picking up that the plot is actually way bigger than you thought and you figure out that, oh, I'm not dealing with mercs, but actually NATO and the UN are completely corrupt in this world and I'm goat roped into the clean up group that needed to be killed. But I didn't read the 7 books that founded the background story here, nor do I care, so I don't know why the UN and NATO are corrupt I just have to accept that and it is never mentioned except in 1 cutscene. Then, the gameplay isn't awesome until you play the 1 hour DLC that came out after they patched all the bugs a year and a half after original release that the DLC actually forces you to lose all your shit and rebuild ground up with no resources nearby to speak of, just sheer skill of knowing what to do, which in my opinion the game should have done in the first place after every few missions but I also played on easy, where as the other difficurties as far as I can tell just make you die faster which is fucking retarded. I don't recommend this game unless you want to throw your shit out every once in a while for sake of difficulty, but the DLC actually impressed me and made it my game of the year in 2015.

1 Like

Skyrim

Because skyrim.

We all know skyrim. I just wanted to mention that the first time I played this buggy piece of shit I spent, oh, 2500 hours inside this game? In one summer? Yeah. I have only done about 5 of the main story quests before it severely bored the fuck out of me.

Thats how awesome this game is. Shut the fuck up and go play it.

Empyrion Galactic Survival

The only good game to come out of early access as far as I can tell, EGS is your basic survival game with space travel. The point of the game is to not die and to make space ships to travel somewhere and not die there either. I have spent a few hundred hours in this game cough 800 cough to say this is super worth the time if you want to play a long term game with friends.

Hmm lets see, oh I know.

Planetary Annihilation

This is another short mention. Basically if you like Command and Conquer Earth 3, CNC Heroes and Generals, Total Annihilation, and other similar games, you will love this game. Basically make it kawaii bot chan and the space adventures oy the murder sattelites and you will die laughing shooting canons that are planets at your friends who have never played it before.

1 Like

Frogger PC:

Edit: Volume warning! Loud AF!!

3 Likes

Holy crap, I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I've spent on this game. Master of Orion 2, Diablo 2, and the original Starcraft were the staples of my PC gaming growing up! But if it speaks at all to how much I love these games, I STILL play Master of Orion 2 and Diablo 2 LOD!

1 Like

@FaunCB
@MFZuul

Well, I started playing dwarf fortress..... prolly a bad move on my part.... :]

2 Likes

Oh yes, the first two splinter cell games were mind blowing...

Too bad all the ones after that were a very different "on rails arcade" experience. Not my cup of tea.

2 Likes

I could play it for hours, but then after stopping can go without lol

such a good game for what it is, still think ASCII is the way to go

I would love to get into it. I tried it for 5 minutes. Cool to see that its just a shell script that works inside itself so I could even play it on a pi. But I can't change the ASCII colors I don't think. I can't see some of the greens so the dark greens are like a dark brown or black to me, even though I know what color they should be.

At that the game confuses me. Theres no tutorial its just "Fuck you go to the wiki".

1 Like

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme

1 Like

I play with the little sprites not ascii... haha

Also, I started by watching several hours of tuts and plays in the background while at work. That really helped. I would agree though that it's not a very accessible game. I still go to the wiki a lot, but I did for starbound too.. ;P

2 Likes

And who doesn't for minecraft?

1 Like

Had to include this one: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

I've spent so many countless hours playing this game ever since I was a kid. I still find myself coming back and playing this game on my SNES. I thoroughly enjoy watching this game being played by the Speed Running community at GDQ events.

3 Likes

Golden Sun (GBA)

Loved the game when it came out. Another one of those games that kept me from studying and doing homework when I was in highschool. Unfortunately it wasn't as fun when I wanted to paly it from the beginning again (never finished it, though). There's a lot of reading involved and when you already know the story it's rather boring to click through the screens and screens of text. The puzzled are fun and can be challenging.

2 Likes