Post your battle stations!

It’s my own personal Skunkworks (Jayztwocents’ just because build).
I’ve split off most of the tasks I used to do with it to other machines about 6 months into the 1950X version, so I could have gotten away w/ just using my 2700X or 8700K builds. That’s no fun though. I’ll keep up with Threadripper until the upgrade path is dead.
To answer the question though: Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, VMs, deep learning experiments, infrequent gaming, etc…

To quote myself from another thread.

1 Like

Your mind has been rotted out by anime

2 Likes

Montana. It’s not quite as nice as it seems, though, because everything is now covered with snow in the middle of October lol

1 Like

You do a lot of snow sports?

I ski, but I’m supposedly here for grad school.

2 Likes

@reikoshea Not a call out just want to see :grin: Never saw the pics the other day (just your laptop, which was :ok_hand:)

Quick question.

For the guys who have monitors above their main display, what method do all of you use? I am about to pick up an Asus PA279Q that I’ll be using it as my main display and I was thinking of mounting my current main one, the Dell U2711, above the Asus.

1 Like

It’s twitchcon this weekend, and solo dad has no time to clean his desk while his other half is partying in San Jose. Hopefully on Monday I’ll have time and post it up.

1 Like

I ran a setup like this for two years, with one 21:9 above another. I found the best way was to have an arm for the top one, and put the bottom display on the OEM stand that came with the monitor.

I can dig up a pic or specs if there’s interest, but the monitors were old and small. I don’t recommend their exact model, but the setup was nice.

It’s all good, a picture of the setup should give me the rough idea of how you had it done.

I wouldn’t call my desk clean, but with how little light is in my office, I guess it’ll do for this purpose.

Dell SG2716DG
AMH A409U
Blue Snowball
Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2
Fostex-T40RP
2014 Razer Blackwidow
Logitech G502
Razer Goliathus Control
M-Audio AV40 Speakers
Cholula Hot Sauce
Bazooka e-liquid
CoolFire IV e-cig

Tower:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/reikoshea/saved/ZPPTwP

980 Will be replaced next week with my wife’s 980Ti when I order her a 2080 (unless I find a reasonably priced 1080Ti). The 2080 will be mine when/if 2080 Ti’s ever hit MSRP or lower.

TR4 build will be happening in the near future. Might need to buy a new(ish) car first, so we’ll see on that timeline.

4 Likes

This is the old setup with 2x 21:9’s. The bottom monitor is on the stock stand, and the top is on an ergo arm (some cheapass one I got from Fry’s).

The vertical monitor was shortlived. Due to its age, it burned the background in like 2 months. These days my station is just a single 34" 21:9 with a desktop tucked under the desk.

10 Likes

not exactly a new system but good place to jam to metalica while doing forensic work.2018-10-29-143513
Yes thats a real cap and ball pistol hangin with my logic probe and mini oscope
oh and the antique multimeter i restored.

4 Likes

How tall was the stand? I’d imagine it was a bit of a stretch to get it clear the bottom monitor.

It was an arm anchored to a post, similar to this one.

The monitors were LG 5UM56-P, so pretty small at only a 25" diagonal. I certainly liked being able to have four main “tiles” at any given point, but if I’ll be honest the top one would only really get used as a Spotify display and an irc client.

1 Like

Ah, I see. I knew someone who did that too, and it looked good as well

inb4 @FlameSilver says, stop stealing my pics

I would do that but the thing is though is that as I have a monitor stand I built myself, I wouldn’t be able to mount that to it, otherwise the whole thing could tip over due to the height and weight. At the same time, I do like having the stand as that way I can store my headphone-turned receiver and other stuff underneath without sacrificing the space, and having the elevated height so that I don’t have to huddle down too much.

That monitor arm was initially used for a tv, so it carries a bit of weight. only reason I don’t have it on the wall is cause I’m in a rental atm, but the monitor is only a 19" thats on there atm

My desk from 2009. I was crawling my way up from the bottom folks. CRTs and Sempron 2600s…

4 Likes

This… this isn’t a battlestation, it’s a warzone! :joy:

3 Likes

23 years old, newly married. She just couldnt say no to my PIMP synergy setup. As I recall the left computer was a P3 generation Celeron with 256MB of RAM running a STRIPPED TO THE BONES debian etch install, and the right one was a Sempron 2600+ with 512MB of RAM and a GeForce 4200Ti and Windows XP.

You’ll also notice to the right of the PC there’s 2 [white van] tower speakers with an old Dual Socket Penguin Computing server on top. Santa Ana Opterons and like 4GB of Memory as I recall. We legit had the LOUDEST living room in the world, but we had a NAS and a LAN gaming server.

Then you never know when you’re going to need a flatbed scanner…or exactly how many PC speakers is too many.

You can definitely tell where the priorities were at that time in our lives, because we didnt own living room furniture…just desks…and the only other pieces of furniture were a stand for the TV, our computer chairs and a bed.

2 Likes