Post your battle stations!

New desk, work in progress.

• EDIT- I suppose I should describe it a bit-

Rocking a teksyndicate mouse and lvl1 dual monitor KVM. Main rig is Windows to serve as a good type 2 hypervisor, been too lazy to make the full transition to Linux w/ Windows VM for when it’s absolutely necessary. Docking station to the right for a T420 with Linux, other docking station is for the work laptop. On the other side of the room is the z800 running as my ESXi type 1 with 5 2TB HDDs connected to an LSI chip in IT mode so that I can virtualize FreeNAS but give it direct access (via passthrough) to the HDDs to get all of that ZFS goodness. The second NIC on the z800 goes directly to a LAMP stack WordPress build using my domain name- its a default build, I haven’t even customized it (its the demo site), its just there as it makes the pfsense logs interesting. The site is probably a good opportunity to self host a blog or something for resume purposes- uhhg, more work. Other VMs is Plex, Splunk and some other stuff.

I’m not an apple guy, but for some reason I like their keyboards- the new MS keyboards look like they might feel similar, they have a finger print sensor and I like how they go about being wireless, so maybe thats in my future.

Monitor to the right is showing pfsense logs and freenas samba share logs, the latter I want to work on installing the restfulapi app integration with Splunk to get a turn-key FreeNAS dashboard installed- but then to add to it these samba logs in and make a FreeNAS share dashboard. The geomaps are A3Sec’s dashboard for pfsense- just awesome, and I added the missile-app (yet another awesome group of peeps) panel at the bottom. I need to restore the Snort dashboard functionality- lazy. The Kali neofetch is there to admit, I’m script kiddie at best, but I’m working to crawl out of that.

8 Likes

Mind telling me what that small monitor is that seems to show temperatures?

1 Like

Mirin workflow. You consider WSL or MobaXTerm over Putty? It’ll change your life :grin:

Looking at MobaXTerm and WSL makes me feel so dated haha. Can you explain Mirin workflow, google isn’t helping me there (or is it suggesting cookpad / mirin?).

1 Like

Mirin’ == I admire or I’m admiring

Lazy/Internet slang. My bad :grin: :frowning_face:

MobaXTerm is great for X11 forwarding on Windows! :open_mouth: It does -X by default.

WSL is great for everything else.

1 Like

Yet I’m further dated haha.

Your turning my life upside down- I have some things to mess around with when I get home.

I’m hoping if I continue to refine the battle station, I get into a grove of actually doing stuff when I get home. Like a stubborn mule, I’m finding it hard to kick back into gear after driving home.

2 Likes

~PartyParrot~

All gravy mane. PowerShell 6 + WSL and I’m in heaven. Then again, I don’t administer Windows anymore lol.

1 Like

I like the sound of not having too many tools- have just a few things that pretty much do all the things is nice. Editing my picture post, figured I should at least put some info.

1 Like

What do you write in the Moleskine?

Code, scripts, stories, ideas, flowcharts? :grin:

Lolz, none of the above- IP addresses, account info, setup information that if I otherwise forget, sets me back- oh yeah, some ideas for sure- need to write it down to help visualize and execute, and fill in notes a long the way. I also use google blogger for notes so that its in reliable (up time) and easy to access place.

1 Like

I’ve done that using Ghost. You might wanna check it out if you’re looking for something basic with less maintenance than WP.

(Link in my bio, if you wanna see what a default install looks like)

2 Likes

@Token x2

Check my profile for a link to my site (you may already have it, though). I started using Laravel/PHP, moved to MERN/MEN stack and said “f this, I hate Web Dev” lol. Spinning up Ghost took less than 15 minutes, I get to manage my own server, and I can still hack at it since I know Node.

1 Like

Must have gotten a deal in EPA

2 Likes

You’re not stubborn, you’re just exhausted from work when you come home like just about everyone else, because the 40-hour workweek is woefully obsolete for the 21st century.

2 Likes

Depends on how you do it.

10 hour Monday - Thursday isn’t bad. Especially if you can batch work on your projects for 4 to 6 hours at a time and schedule useless interruptions meetings around those projects.

In my opinion. I’d rather opt for the 4 hour work week but I’m not a business owner yet so :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

hah, if only I worked that little.

This is my life. I had a 2 hour meeting last week where someone was reading a presentation word-for-word, grade school style, off the slide. No additional info was presented and the slide deck was made available on Confluence after the meeting. What a waste of time.

1 Like

Not sure how… “cool” your job is, but if you start spamming the image below, you might get some reprieve lol.

5 Likes

I want this:

@anon79053375 @SgtAwesomesauce, this is just too funny because its so true (I’m in one right now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNz82r5nyUw

1 Like

Well then.

Those who take advantage of the deal will only be paid for the hours worked and at the end of two years they will have to return to the current 35-hour working week.

Okay, so they want to be part time?

Oh fuck man I’m dying :joy: :joy: :joy:

The only thing missing was a screaming baby. Then that video would have been ~15 hours of my week every week.

1 Like