Post your battle stations!

If I were to throw 1400+ dollars at a GPU that I don’t have the money to replace, I really don’t want to have any downtime with it. I’d rather not fuck it up whun its designed to run a certain way and run well in that config.

15099121810411345702710that’s mine

4 Likes

And that is your right and perfectly understandable. Also rational.

That does not allow you to force that belief on someone else. Belittle or degrade someone who thinks differently.

That right there is uncalled for. You are calling those who use waterblocks “stupid”. It is called ‘Enthusiast’, also a hobby. I personally enjoy it and find it very satisfying to squeeze out every last bit of performance. I have been doing it for over 15 years. Never a leak or damage of any kind, but I have bent pins on a motherboard before, so I should stop building and buy prebuilt?

I would like to think we are helpful or supportive here in this community. That comment was neither.

1 Like

It doesn’t. It ships with an All in One watercooler with a radiator/fan attached. I guess same thing, but with water?

Pretty sure it isn’t by design that one of the screws simply won’t come out. The rest came out just fine.

I did actually end up having to break the backplate to get it off, then use a pair of channel locks to grip the screw with enough force to get it out.

However, neither of those things caused the damage. It was turning the backplate in hopes that it’d loosen the screw that damaged the PCB.

Designed in what way? To prevent taking the back plate off? That seems extremely unlikely.

Can’t get to the chip and replace the thermal paste without taking off the waterblock. Can’t take off the waterblock without removing the backplate.

Can’t add more fans with an AIO that only has 1 fan mounting point that’s already occupied.

You’re being awfully insulting for someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about, and wasn’t insulted to begin with.

Uh, your quote seems to have messed up. I believe you quoted my quote of him in my post and so your quote says I’m the one saying that. Just remove it and quote him from his post and it should fix that.

@FaunCB

Oh, did I mention why I was swapping out the AIO for a custom waterblock? No? Well, the pump on the AIO is squealing like a pig. It technically works, but I expect it to die soon. Pumps aren’t supposed to sound like that.

Modern Diogenes, my ass.

2 Likes

Then I’m extremely confused as to why you would integrate it with the rest of the system if you think it makes a stupid amount of heat like that.

Because it’s the most powerful single card that I can reasonably get a hold of, and that fits all my criteria for what I need my system to do.

The whole point of my system is “most power in smallest space” for a consumer (I don’t consider threadripper consumer, per se, but this was built before it was released). Radeon Pro Duo is a weird “for consumer and professionals” hybrid card as it can use both the regular AMD drivers and the professional AMD drivers.

1 Like

Corrected… sorry.

Because you do not know what you are talking about.

1 Like

If the risk is higher than the reward then I don’t do it. I also don’t have a billion dollars laying around to buy workstation equipment.

And he shows his hand.

This is a technology forum. You’re going to get people on here with small, medium, large and insane budgets. We all like similar things and have different levels of disposable income. If you’re not happy with where you’re at, don’t bitch on a forum, go out and better yourself.

I’ve watched you be disgruntled on this forum for a few years now and quite frankly, I’m sick of it. You’re clearly a smart guy. I’ve had some good conversations with you about a variety of things, but one thing always stuck with me: You’ve spent more time being bitter about some situation you aren’t happy with than trying to fix it.

Always treating people who have large budgets with disdain and it really shows poor character and maturity. I can’t afford a threadripper right now, but there’s a guy on another thread who’s building his second system. Am I a bit jealous? Yes. Does that make me dislike him? Not at all.

If you don’t want people to discount your rants as “Oh, that’s just Aremis, he’s just the resident grump.” It might be worthwhile to make an effort towards not coming off more abrasive than 80 grit sandpaper.

No one can have it all, but the things you do can guarantee you nothing.

13 Likes

Risk is perspective based, so is reward. That is your perspective and you have every right to it. However, it does not give you the right to chastise others who do not share your perspective.

So if you had a billion dollars laying around you would? Is this simply ‘Haves vs Have Nots’?

@Vitalius shared their experience so that others may learn, you have provided, quite frankly, nothing…

1 Like

Minor update to my setup. Not the best picture, but meh, it is what it is. The desk has not moved, but the monitors have.

All the monitors are running off of the Thinkpad. This thing is terrific.

P1060014

30 Likes

Damn! That is insane! Good stuff!

wat…
:dizzy_face:

Yep. It’s connected to a Thunderbolt dock. This is my future right here. If i can one day get a revision of this laptop with a quad-core and maybe stepping up to PCIe 4.0, I shall want for little else for a very, very long time.

You magnificent bastard. Wendell would be proud.

2 Likes

I think Wendell would be in a state of abject horror if he saw what is holding up the upper two monitors.

1 Like

You guys don’t know what true computing power is

20 Likes

pics please?

my current setup.
20171029_152907_HDR

Keyboard is Model F XT from 1983. Because reasons. Though currently using a slightly newer Hi-tek NMB keyboard from 1990 or so, that has space invader switches but still.

HP display on the left is 4k, on the right is some 1080p.

and yes that is a 6990 hiding in the background lol

7 Likes

Your external HDD looks like the newest thing there (I would know, I have a 4 TB one with a red HDD enclosure, I should just stick to using that instead of flash drives for storage, lately they been corrupting some files).

1 Like

But have you found Neo yet?