Post your battle stations!

Ouch… but, how though?

1 Like

I was removing the back plate to install a custom waterblock. The GPU is a Radeon Pro Duo.

The backplate wouldn’t come off because the last screw was cross threaded. I thought “Hey, I’ve rotated objects held on by a stuck screw before and it helped loosen the screw.”

What I didn’t thing was: “Hey, this backplate is metal. It’s right up against the PCB and isn’t flat. It’s edges will tear off components as I turn it.”

And that’s what happened.

Now I’m looking for someone who services SMD (Surface Mounted Devices) and can solder equivalent capacitors back on. It’s doable. Louis Rossman does it with Macs a lot.

I’ve contacted multiple places. 3 of the capacitors are almost too small for me to see. So they’ll probably need special skill or equipment.

These capacitors cost like $1 to pennies, so the most expensive part would be the labor. Finding someone who can do and is willing is hard though.;

University of Auckland, Computationalist Neurobiology Lab (half the dough) and Max Planck Institute for Aritifical Intelligence and Consciousness Lab, The Myth of Neural Networks and Mirror Neurosn project (the other half of the dough).

And just because people are wondering: the monitors stream relays of synaptic impulses from six different cortical networks tracking both event-related and temporal synaptic signal-potentials from fMRI and MEG scanners. The other two, not in picture, tracks changes in blood oxygenation levels during on-line parsing of syntax by neonates. The idea is to test various theories of what kind of innate algorithms come hardwired with the brain that enables it to create and compute recursive syntax. Important if you want to know how languages like Turkish came about and how children acquire such artifacts that literally exceed the brain’s storage capacity (Carl Sagan’s estimate of brain capacity: 150 billion bytes, approx. Cache requirement for Turkish morphosyntax: 250 billion bytes, at a conservative estimate). These algorithms enable everything else… including ability for concepts like numbers, Russell Paradox etc. which allow us to do algebra and write symphonies.

Also, I didn’t pay for them. Obviously. I am not really made of money. My grant pays for equipments.

4 Likes

Home-office. The University allows me to work from home. Except when I have to teach :stuck_out_tongue: !

1 Like

aGEOxwa

SGI version of the Sony FW900 running @ 2304x1440 @ 80hz, Boston Ba745s, Saitek Eclipse I, Logitech G500s, an unmemorable Dell rotated, Alienware M17x R4 w/ GTX980M and one extra reinforced cheap overpriced desk

6 Likes

Call amd.

And stop it with the waterblocks.

Monitor change. Was going to reorganize my desk but I can’t if my monitors are like this, and I want them lik this. Getting a sidegrade of a trackball soon and got some fans free for my pc. One is a little 80mm or 100mm cpu fan thats ancieent but damn does it pump air, and then a 180mm fractal design fan that odoesn’t actually fit anywhere in the case so I zip tied it to the front of the drive cage to keep air swirling around my 580. Also added an exhaust fan but I’m not convinced it does much more than swirl air around, though my xeon 1225v2 stays at 22 deg now. And it heats my house!

Waiting to see when the next ryzen release is. Aparently to do the upgrade I want to do is 500 flat, 650 if 8 core, though I’m not convinced I need 8. That plice drop will hopefully get me somewhere neat 400 something.

2 Likes

I like the paddle, that holds the curtains on the window…

Its a rake. Its from when I was a kid I’m just too lazy to remove it and I like a dark room anyways. Theres a shovel and a hoe at the other windows.

A theme build… It gives the window certain… Charm…
Google said paddle, and I’m not native so please apologize to the rake… I didn’t mean to offend it…

1 Like

Huh. Where are you from? I like learning about new places :3

Bulgaria… 1400 years of history… Eastern Europe. Living in the shadow of Greece and Turkey. Not the bird…

1 Like

xD I like that you felt the need to specify it

2 Likes

I have always wandered, is there a connection between the bird and the country name. I’ve noticed if there is something like that in the English language there usually is a reason…

mid 16th century: short for turkey cock or turkey hen, originally applied to the guinea fowl (which was imported through Turkey), and then erroneously to the American bird.

3 Likes

Already did. It’s on the way to repair.

no

1 Like

Waterblocks are stupid and if they break they kill everything.

Much like Raid.

Waterblocks don’t usually break. It’s usually the connections to them that break.

Watercooling is the only reasonable way to cool this much power in this tiny of a system:

RAID 1 doesn’t do that.

…If it ships with the fan cooler, and the screws are designed to fuck you up so you can’t get them out, at what point do you NOT think that its a good idea to rip that shit apart and probably break your 1400 dollar GPU?

Especially if its designed that way? Just get more fans or replace the heat sludge on the chip.

Or, you know, stop breaking shit.

WTF! Who are you to tell anyone what they do with something they purchased with their own hard earned money?

From what you are saying, overclocking should not be done either because there are risks. Several companies still warranty if waterblocked, much fewer if overclocked. So which carries more risk?

If I didn’t know any better I would swear you are a lobbyist for Apple…

3 Likes