Post your battle stations!

On a different topic: how happy are you with your H440?

Didn't you make a thread about how you did it?

you should if not, if I recall correctly you did what @wendell did more or less. But it would be good to remake a how to on that

1 Like

Very, I love the style and the layout. Unfortunately I fucked mine up a little with the wrong paint, it is yellow instead of white. So I need to strip it at some stage and use a proper gloss paint that will slide the side panels off easily, they are sticky right now. but otherwise I love it and intend to use it until it is not viable any more, and refreshing the looks as I go.

EDIT: Yeah @MFZuul. I did exactly as wendell did. Bought a panel locally at a repair shop and then ordered the controller from http://dp2retina.rozsnyo.com/ it came to about €165, which is not great but also for what came of it not bad either. the putting together is super easy, ipad ribbon into controller board and then just a DP cable and wiring a molex connector onto a plug for power.

There are cheaper ways to do it now. I like to experiment.

Ah, I think I remember. You made a thread about it a while ago, right?

what would they be?

cough should make a thread cough

1 Like

Yup sure did. Project: H440 Recolour

1 Like

I like the H440 Hyper Beast Edition but ~100% more expensive just for the design...no thx. And the Manta is only m-ITX and good Z170/Z270 are rare + expensive.

1 Like

Stuff like this is cheaper and in a more finished unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-7-Inch-2048x1536-IPS-2K-Retina-Displayer-Screen-LCD-Module-Acrylic-Case-HMDI-Portable-Raspberry/32674549776.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.4.YZzSXp&scm=1007.13339.33317.0&pvid=5f6f71e2-3734-4b23-a497-7b455c9d1b42&tpp=1

EDIT: just found this, even cheaper, less than $100 for a bare iPad display: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/9-7-Inch-2048x1536-IPS-2K-Retina-Monitor-Screen-LCD-Module-HDMI-TV-Portable-Raspberry-Pi/1196030_32771305252.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.Lal2HD

And his store has myriad other monitors and touchscreens from extreme hacky loose cable controller to finished contained touch panels.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1196030?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.9pAoQl

@TheDiddilyHorror yeah the HyperBeast is really nice but getting a vinyl print or even hydro dip on the regular case gets the same result and personalised, cheaper.

1 Like

That's certainly true. And the Hyber Beast is only ~250€ in Germany. Here in Austria some stores ahve them at ~1300€.

1 Like

€1300 is a joke. 250 is more reasonable I think mine was about 200 plain white.

The plain black w/window+sound-dampening goes for ~120€ now.

1 Like

Almost tempting to get a second one when I build a new PC to house the old one, they are pretty practical being squared off, so fit well in a lot of places and you can put things on it.

How's ventilation in there? More and more manufacturers seem to go the "restricted airflow in the front cause glass/door" way.

It is definitely restricted but the computer does not suffer restricted airflow in any damaging way. it is made up for by having three 120s in the front as a wall of moving air, a little over kill but keeps air coming in cool. Currently dues to the paint issues I have the side off anyway so it does not get stuck in place which helps the ambient movement of air but not much else, it is still AMD do it kicks out the heat when it wants to.

If anything it needs a second exhaust in the top back as well just to move some hot air out again. Part of the quiet is no easy way to self ventilate even with effectively fully open up top of the case. Plus the stock NZXT fans are a bit meh, they did not even supply their quiet isolated version of them with the quiet silent case?... But they need replacing now any way, well at least one of them does.

It can only get better for me. As satisfied as I was with my Corsair 230T when I got it, as frustrated I am with all the little issues adding up. Front dustfilter glued ot frontpanel (take off both sides to remove that), only 4x 3.5" bays, no sound-dampening at all (very open, you can hear it even 2 rooms away), the color is getting boring, putting 140mm fans in the top restricts cable-routing for the 8pin CPU cable from behind the motherboard tray to the front), etc.

The Manta is my favorite now, but good/not expensive af m-ITX Z170/Z270 mobos are extremely rare. So I might go for an H440 in the future (or its predecessor if NZXT knocks one out).

1 Like

There are definitely some changes that would make a H540 bit nicer, their drive cages are super overbuild metal sleds which is really nice build quality wise but a bit annoying to use and they compete for front space if you want to put a rad in. So you need to take a pile of drive sleds out to put a rad in. But other than that the layout is pretty nice, room for cable management behind is a little tight, you need to be very 2D with the laying out of cables but even the bulky 24 pin bundle fits but it is held between the tray and sound insulating foam.

The top has mounting points for a top rad but that is a bit of a dream, not really enough room up top to for a rad and fans. One or the other sure but both would take some maneuvering, skill and luck to fir it.

But if you like DIY and custom things like lights and colours, there are huge options for semi custom stuff on this case.

Since I'm still undecided with which plattform I should go (gonna wait for Zen to see how prices and performance compares to Skylake/Kaby Lake) it's still too early for me to make plans (and I don't have a fixed budget yet either).

I would only go for a rad if I end up with a k-part (or OC Zen) and that adds to the overall cost.

And DIY.....I was playing with the thought of doing something about the front dustfilter in my 230T (remove it and the grill on the frontpanel, then add some metal on the inner edge and a 240mm magnetic dustfilter) but never got the motivation to do it.
So I'd say I'm too lazy for anything DIY.

1 Like

I don't understand how any of you guys with the mounted monitors set them above your head so you have to crane your neck up to look at them. That's an ergonomic nightmare.

Oh no, that is bad perspective. I eye line is almost exactly center line with the top monitor I actually look a little down a the ipad screen slightly.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

4 Likes