Post your 3D models

Place for sharing your 3D creations - Both solid (i.e. SolidWorks, Fusion 360, Inventor, Siemens NX (if you’re crazy)) and surface models (i.e. Blender, 3DS Max, Maya, C4D).

Cool if people can include the modelling software (and renderer, if relevant) they used.

Feel free to ask people for advise in this thread.

Learn Blender with the community and endlessly compare your results to others!

For 3D printing talk and advice, go here.

8 Likes

I’m going to be using this as a dumping ground for more obscure stuff I model at work.

Spent a good 5 hours today remodelling this chair in 3DS Max. Made the weave out of splines, which are always a joy to work with…

Original model we had was a converted .step that was 103MB. Cut that down to 5.5MB with this one. Took the opportunity to properly map the cushions, and using splines meant that maps were automatically generated for that.

Just put on basic Corona materials to check it. The weaves are split into smaller sections, which meant I could use a Corona Mix map to randomise the gamma of each section, making it look a little less unreal.

10 Likes

Hmm, this could be exciting to give me a reason to start getting back into Blender, etc. Does anyone know if you can still get a free trial of the AutoDesk suite?

@Zavar Great thread nevertheless, excited to see the community involvement!

1 Like

What if your model was for 3D printing?

Go for it! I’ve updated the OP to reflect this thread’s for both.

@WolfTech716, what Autodesk software would you be using?

I think I’d be looking at AutoCAD (the 2D implementation), 3DS/Maya for extracting the models that I lay out in AutoCAD. If that makes no sense, then it shows how long it’s been since I’ve used them haha.

AutoCAD does 3D, but not very well. If you know autodesk stuff, you can use Fusion360 instead.

Seems like something that could cover my use case. I’d have to check on the actual features, but thanks for the input! Also, AutoCAD would just be for the outline (such as making a floorpan) and then using a different program to extract the model.

AutoCAD is how I make my money so if you need to know something, I can help you.

I’m working on a floor plan so I can do in floor radiant tubing drawings.

An example of a Hydronic system for higher volume DHW

These arent 3D though so lemme show you something that is

A simple primary/secondary boiler system.

5 Likes

Whoa… that is SUPER cool, alright so I do thin I wanna delve back into AutoCAD. Are there projects that people suggest that get you into the software? I’m a “learning by doing” individual. I know once I made my high school’s mascot as a logo, then extrapolated it for 3D onto a plaque base as a “virtual prize”, but that’s where my knowledge ended. (I would be starting far below that now)

For something like that boiler system, most of it is stuff I got from our manufacturers already made and I just put the pieces together like a lego set.

Start with simple shapes. make a circle and extrude it… then slice it, then make a smaller circle and extrude it through the first ones and use that to subtract from it. You’d end up with 2 rings.

1 Like

Boy, do I have a thread for you guys!

A lot of neat stuff in there.

RIP @Positron

NASA have released diffuse and displacement maps for moon from the LRO.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4720

Means you can put an accurate moon in your scenes, if you’re using a sun positioner.

1 Like

Thought I would post a joke model I made a while ago.

1 Like

Went back to the modeling stage for this dingo gnoll thing to make them a bit more viable to be used with catmull-clark subdiv, flesh out facial features, and a rework on the hands.

(previous iteration, old hands, painted face.)

As usual, Blender 2.8, and some use of Substance Painter 1.x

1 Like

SAURON KNOWS YOUR LICENSE PLATE AND STARES INTO YOUR SOUL

3 Likes

@Kaiju, nice! The blender UI hurts my head still haha

Spent a bit of time last week trying to make a rope-look material without using bitmaps. Worked out quite well, if you don’t go super close.

4 Likes

Not bad. Here’s the shader setup for the glass & emissive behind it.

(glass)

(emissive)

Next thing to do with this one is getting the sawtooth wave texture to apply perpendicular like scanlines instead of diagonal

2 Likes

Rubens Wingback armchair

and Made Sofia armchair (used to same materials to check the mapping)

4 Likes

5 Likes