Post What Books You Have

I have been a remember on audible since like 2013 and aim for larger books (20hrs+)

The Dragons of Dorcastle (The Pillars of Reality) is one exception I really like this series as well

1 Like

Stories inspired by the game:

First story was really good. The oneā€™s after that were okay.

AWS book is decent, more of a general overview. 2019 Iā€™m getting the Certified DevOps I think.

Hmā€¦ With my train commute, I might consider this. Do you get like a book a month or do you buy them as you go?

I do the 2 per month sub (aprox $12 per book) and frequently run out
The trick is cancel sub and re-activate or they allow for 3 more credits for the same price after a certain point

1 Like

Hmā€¦ Not so bad. Iā€™ll check it out.

LOL. Brilliant!

Weā€™re on the same page (heh) on a lot of things, I see:

Yeah I have burned through most of the good stuff, been branching out a lot more, also trying to do 1 pleasure and 1 history / informative

I can recommend the making of the atomic bomb was a good ā€œreadā€

1 Like

What is the difference between the Certified DevOps and AWS Certified Solutions?

1 Like

First off, I messed up! That book was the Archive, Legacy of Blood is the first book. It has four total!

Certified Solutions goes through all the services that AWS provides. Itā€™s the ā€œfirst certā€ in the AWS path.

Then, there is Developer, DevOps, and SysOps. Developer goes over web services and applications, so deploying software, Lambda, things like that. DevOps goes through CloudFormation, Elastic BeanStalk, the ā€œDevOpseyā€ stuff. SysOps goes over the security and networking, plus all the other stuff. Itā€™s the hardest of the three, Iā€™ve read.

Then thereā€™s the Architect, which is basically building the best of the best.

They have niche exams, too. Like Advanced Networking, Securing AWS, etc. But those want the big certs as a prereq, I think.

Also @AnotherDev I listen at 1.25 read speed so also kind of shortens my longer books.

1 Like

Ah, makes sense. Thatā€™s how I watch Linux Academy and Udemy lmao.

I might have to look into the DevOps and the Certified Solutions. I use those things you listed in my job.

1 Like

For my shitty classes they use Testout.com and i watch those a 1.7 those guys talk so fucking slow (wouldnt recommend them, but my school uses them so no real option)

1 Like

Yup, same. Itā€™s good to have. There is an entire recruiting/consulting firm nearby that specializes in JUST AWS engineers. So the market is really good. Padding the resume with certs never hurts. Hell, even if you read the book and learn the material without taking the test itā€™ll still do you a world of good, imo.

Damn, thatā€™s rough. Itā€™s better than sitting in the class live, though :grin: Being able to fast forward, I mean.

1 Like

buks r gey

2 Likes

Eh I get paid for going to school from my Post 9/11 GI bill so its not a big deal, also its more of a checkbox to get my degree as I already have 10 years exp

1 Like

Your mother had no complaints when I read to her last night.

Octothorpe bucket list. I can relate. The college administration was always telling me the starting salary for my degree and I would have to tell them ā€œI make more than that nowā€¦ā€ lul.

rekt

3 Likes

Yeah guy teaching my CEH class was like you can expect to start at 55-65k in this area and I was like god damn that would suck I came out the military and was making more then that, with just 4 years exp. But enough sidetracking

1 Like

shed probably like that a lot. you should call her.

Sorry to disappoint, am brainlet. School made me hate reading, so I rarely read.

My library:

Although I do have these:

The Jobs one is in Russian coz itā€™s my dadā€™s, I read it coz gotta know your enemy :smiley:

But letā€™s be real the only book that matters is:
anime-learn-c-crop

3 Likes

Out of curiosity why did you choose to purchase/get that e-reader over say the Kobo, Nook, Kindle, etc.?

TL;DR: Didnā€™t want to get kindle coz I donā€™t wanna support amazon +DRM. Couldnā€™t get Kobo without shipping. This one was available local and has great stats. I can upload books unto it without any DRM.

1 Like