Post Intresting Open Source Projects

Do you know of or are making a cool open source project?

It can be anything, software, hardware, Free(dom), Free(beer), or paid.

Just has to be open source. Don’t be afraid to post well known projects, guarantee there is someone out there that missed it!

I am constantly finding interesting ideas out there that seem to have been over looked and would love to hear more.

Please only one or two per post with a write up of why you think it’s interesting.

I’ll try and keep a list here, please post links to git hub/lab or websites for me to link to here.

Software

Lazygit
simple terminal UI for git commands

Lazynpm
terminal UI for npm

Lazydocker
The lazier way to manage everything docker

monkey-type.com
A minimalistic, customisable typing test.

fla.sh
flashcards in your terminal!

Ledger
Plain-text accounting

Gramps
Research, organize, and share your family tree

Floaterm
Use (neo)vim terminal in the floating/popup window.

HomelabOS
Offline-first open-source data-center

Simula
Linux VR Desktop

barrier
Open-source KVM software

QuPath
an open, powerful, flexible, extensible software platform for whole slide image analysis.

Lutris
Open Source gaming platform for Linux, helps with install and scripting for wine, steam, so on.

Blender
Open-source 3D modeling, scultping, animation, and more.

Krita
Open-source drawing and painting

Inkscape
Open-source vector drawing

ArmourPaint
Open-source PBR texturing (like Substance Painter)

R
Open-source statistical computing and graphing

ReboundCommand-line tool that instantly fetches Stack Overflow results when an exception is thrown.

FairMOT
A simple baseline for one-shot multi-object tracking

Nitter
free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy

lmms
an open source alternative to FL Studio to produce music.

Unwalled Garden
Schemas for a p2p social-media network built on the Dat Web.

Beaker Browser
An experimental peer-to-peer Web browser.

Recalbox
A retrogaming open source operating system for Raspberry Pi, Odroid and PC.

Retropie
RetroPie allows you to turn your Raspberry Pi, ODroid C1/C2, or PC into a retro-gaming machine.

Mapscii
A node.js based Vector Tile to Braille and ASCII renderer for xterm-compatible terminals.

Playnite
Open source video game library manager with support for 3rd party libraries like Steam, GOG, Origin, Battlenet and Uplay. Including game emulation support, providing one unified interface.

ofxpostern
Vulnerability scanner for OFX servers.

SMBetray
SMB MiTM tool with a focus on attacking clients through file content swapping, lnk swapping, as well as compromising any data passed over the wire in cleartext.

The Harvester
E-mails, subdomains and names Harvester - OSINT. Very simple, yet effective tool designed to be used in the early
stages of a penetration test.

DeepExploit
Fully automatic penetration test tool using Machine Learning.

Invidious
Invidious is an alternative front-end to YouTube

Godot Engine
Multi-platform 2D and 3D game engine completely free and open source under the MIT license.

Sonarr
Smart PVR for newsgroup and bittorrent users.

Radarr
Radarr is an independent fork of Sonarr reworked for automatically downloading movies via Usenet and BitTorrent.

Lidarr
Looks and smells like Sonarr but made for music.

Bazarr
Bazarr is a companion application to Sonarr and Radarr. It manages and downloads subtitles based on your requirements.

FreeCAD
A free and opensource multiplatform 3D parametric modeler.

The V Programming Language
Simple, fast, safe, compiled language for developing maintainable software

Asciinema
A free and open source solution for recording terminal sessions and sharing them on the web.

Hardware

Ciclop
DIY 3D Scanner for models

Open Source Low Tech
Easy to make open sourced ideas like water/wind generators

Other

beerpay
Find your next great project to support and help open source to be stronger!

C3 Codes
A Simple, but Effective Method to Increase Barcode Data Capacity.

meshtastic- An opensource hiking, pilot, skiing, Signal-App-extending GPS mesh communicator

Todo:

Clean up and make easier to find stuff, maybe move offsite to GitHub or pastebin

3 Likes

Nitter - free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy

Sometimes you just have to go to Twitter, or for some reason you still use twitter. Good news, you can use it without being a hypocrite and have more control over your privacy.

The list of features are:

• No JavaScript or ads
  • All requests go through the backend, client never talks to Twitter
  • Prevents Twitter from tracking your IP or JavaScript fingerprint
  • Unofficial API (no rate limits or developer account required)
  • Lightweight (36KB vs 580KB from twitter)
  • RSS feeds
  • Themes
  • Mobile support (responsive design)
  • AGPLv3 licensed, no proprietary instances permitted

you can selfhost, however there is some work to be done (like embeding and archiving) but all in all seems like a good work around. I don’t use twitter myself, but have heard that nitter is worth trying. May do some testing later.

1 Like

Kinda a meme, but this group is pretty interesting. Open sourced “low tech”

Saw this video, I mean it’s a great concept

3 Likes

FairMOT - A simple baseline for one-shot multi-object tracking

2 Likes

Blender
Open-source 3D modeling, scultping, animation, and more.

Krita
Open-source drawing and painting

Inkscape
Open-source vector drawing

ArmourPaint
Open-source PBR texturing (like Substance Painter)

R
Open-source statistical computing and graphing

3 Likes

Lutris - Basically THE Linux gaming tool.

Lutris is an Open Source gaming platform for Linux. It installs and launches games so you can start playing without the hassle of setting up your games. Get your games from GOG, Steam, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay and many other sources running on any Linux powered gaming machine.

2 Likes

meshtastic- An opensource hiking, pilot, skiing, Signal-App-extending GPS mesh communicator

Meshtastic™ is a project that lets you use inexpensive ($30 ish) GPS radios as an extensible, long battery life, secure, mesh GPS communicator. These radios are great for hiking, skiing, paragliding - essentially any hobby where you don’t have reliable internet access. Each member of your private mesh can always see the location and distance of all other members and any text messages sent to your group chat.

The radios automatically create a mesh to forward packets as needed, so everyone in the group can receive messages from even the furthest member. The radios will optionally work with your phone, but no phone is required.

1 Like

Okuna- Crowd-funded, open-source, ethical social network for a brighter tomorrow.

Besides the kinda meh virtue signaling ‘ethical’ and ‘brighter tomorrow’ this looks interesting. While I feel like social media was a mistake, this does look like a way better way to go about it. Time will tell if their claims are reality but they do have everything on git up and seems to be legit for now. I’m sure it will be dystopian after it takes off but who knows.

DockSTARTer- helps you get started with home server apps running in Docker.

Like HomelabOS this helps you get up and running quickly but with an easier start and imo a better flow. Can work on a pi too

Maybe left field for level1tech, but want to share;

Automated Histopathological scoring is for the most part propriatary and expensive (I think my department spent several thousands on a single PC licence for HistoQuest from TissueGnostics). Before Covid19 closed us, I was working manually scoring hundreds of Tumour sections with one of our MD students to attempt to recreate this papers findings. With my increased working from home time, I’ve been trying to create an free open source protocol for identifying tumour/stromal tissue, and score the nuclear and cytoplasmic staining intensity within a great opensource slide imager, from the great Peter Bankhead;

QuPath

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Also a perfect project for this thread!

HomelabOS- Offline-first open-source data-center

Pretty amazing project, gets you up and running very quickly and can be run on a pi! Has over 100 services and is supposed to take a lot of the work out of getting a homelab up and running.

Simula- Linux VR Desktop

Simula is a VR window manager for Linux that runs on top of Godot. It takes less than 1 minute to install.

just look at that…

The left image is a VR terminal without our filter applied; the right is the same image with our filter applied. Compared to other VR Desktops, Simula allows for significantly longer sessions without uncomfortable eye strain.

3 Likes

barrier-Open-source KVM software

Fork of synergy-core, the raspberrypi youtube and org was promoting it. Looks pretty awesome, I have been wanting to make a small extra screen with a pi on it for my desk and this will be super handy.

Floaterm- Use (neo)vim terminal in the floating/popup window.

That’s it. In vim script

Go to 1m29s for an example

Lazygit- simple terminal UI for git commands

Written in Go, aim is to make git simple

If you’re a mere mortal like me and you’re tired of hearing how powerful git is when in your daily life it’s a powerful pain in your ass, lazygit might be for you.

https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=CPLdltN7wgE

2 Likes

Lazynpm-terminal UI for npm

Written in Go it aims to make using npm ezer

npm is pretty cool, but some of its workflows are a little too much for somebody with my atrocious short term memory. If I need to link a couple of dependencies to a package I need to do an npm install on the package so we’re up to date, then cd to each dependency package and npm install , then npm run build , then npm link if it’s not already globally linked (and how would I know that it is?) and then cd back to the original package and do npm link <dependency> for each dependency. Pretty much every time I’ll get halfway through, suspect that I’ve forgotten a step, then start again from scratch. But who needs a functionining brain when have a tool where every step in the process take one keypress and at a glance you can see how everything is linked up?

Lazydocker-The lazier way to manage everything docker
Will you just look at that… Just look at it

Written in Go its aim is to make it easy to manager docker containers, and from the terminal!

Memorising docker commands is hard. Memorising aliases is slightly less hard. Keeping track of your containers across multiple terminal windows is near impossible. What if you had all the information you needed in one terminal window with every common command living one keypress away (and the ability to add custom commands as well). Lazydocker’s goal is to make that dream a reality.

2 Likes

monkeytype.com - A minimalistic, customisable typing test.

There are plenty of free typing test websites out there, but I think this one is among the best. It’s extremely beautiful, customizable, and quick. You can select from different modes, toggle punctuation, use custom text, select themes, play at different difficulty levels, each requiring more and more accuracy, and it has an integrated button for taking a screenshot of your results to fuel competition and bragging between friends.

It has an account system, which lets you track progress over time, and tag your runs with custom tags which you can use to filter through your test results later.

(These are my results after switching to strictly using correct touch typing technique.)

All the code can be found on GitHub.

EDIT: They have rebranded from monkey-type to monkeytype! Finally got that ugly hyphen out of there!

And the website is constantly getting a whole host of new features, new languages, special challenges like gibberish text and mirrored text, multiplayer, leaderboards, all sorts of cool stuff. This is by far the best typing test available on the internet currently.

2 Likes

fla.sh-flashcards in your terminal!

This is an awesome project is by Bryan Jenks, he has a youtube channel and is doing some good videos and streams.

Does what it says on the tin:

Brodie did a video on it (though it is now called Fla.sh):

Bryan’s video:

1 Like