Post here to tell staff you want a BSD section

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/3rh9dw/pfsense_vs_opnsense/

gonzopancho

Netgate8 points · 3 years ago · edited 3 years ago

which is bullshit because OPNsense is a pfSense fork.

It’s worse than that. Applianceshop / Deciso was attacking the pfSense trademark. Literally planning to obtain it in Europe via “first use”.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090625061201/http://www.applianceshop.eu/

When I took action to make them stop, they started bitching about “open source”.

The tools never left github, you just had to click through an agreement to not do exactly what they were doing (build your own version and call it “pfSense”), and you had to agree that our marks were valid. Several hundred parties agreed to that license. Companies like VMware, Cisco and Avaya agreed to that license.

But not Decisco. they didn’t want to agree to it, because their strategy for being “pfSense in Europe” would be stopped. Even Franco admits it: https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/3asj97/has_anyone_tried_the_opnsense_distro/cshlppb?context=3

The danger has passed, and we re-invented the build system such that a separate ‘-tools’ directory is not longer necessary (nor desirable), so the whole debacle with ‘-tools’ is over.

The bootstrap GUI and build system for OPNsense came from Packetwerk, Franco Fitchner’s previous company. Franco was the “Co-founder, Chief Software Architect” at Packetwerk, and he and the CEO of Packetwerk left under strange circumstance. I suspect they were both “exited” by the investors.

Franco is now a Perl programmer (learning Perl OTJ) at SEPPmail AG.

It’s never been about “open source” to the people at Deciso, it’s about abuse and lies so they can make money selling hardware, and pfSense has >never< not been open source.

3 Likes

23 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Lounge - 2019/04 April [This Comment Has Been Censored Due to European Union’s Copyright Law Edition]

@SesameStreetThug just so we’re clear I’m not faulting you for using their stuff. Just a playful jab.

But if you were unaware of the history then I thought it was pertinent to the discussion.

1 Like

We need a “distro wars” section

1 Like

This implies that there is no difference between them other than which one is the original (spoiler: neither are). OPNSense stands on it’s own and has it’s own look and features that separate it from pfSense; just like pfSense had it’s own look and features that separated it from m0n0wall. I use pfSense at work, and it’s been going down the drain. It feels like they’re cucking the community edition more and more, and on top of that they broke carp on a point release which was a bad day for me.

I didn’t know about this. Obviously some drama between devs. I don’t know why they would bother trying to do this in the first place.

1 Like

Wouldn’t go that far lol. It’s old school, but done right.

It was written in a day where things needed to get done, implemented, and not fucked with. It’s also insanely versatile (more than Linux, imo), stable, and secure. Despite the (now) OpenBSD meme, out of the box FreeBSD affords security that other operating systems dream of having, or just attempt by using dumb defaults.

It requires people to understand computing and how to follow instructions. It also relies on its community, more than Linux, I think.

2 Likes

@Goalkeeper Put it back. Lounge is bad.

2 Likes

make @Adubs suffer @Goalkeeper, keep it

2 Likes

nobody uses BSD as a primary os wtf
is bsd eternally btfo?

4 Likes

freqlabs does

1 Like

who’s that?

2 Likes

No one likes BSD

Its stockholm syndrome.

2 Likes

A leedor here and on the discord

1 Like

never heard of him

3 Likes

@freqlabs does

@thro does too, I believe.

BSD BSD BSD BSD BSD BSD

shhhhh, it loves us

2 Likes

they don’t use BSD, look at the poll

2 Likes

the responses to that post too
dumb doggo

2 Likes

Quoting myself, because this is God damn beautiful.

@Adubs

1 Like

ID like a place to Be SD

2 Likes