Possible to ping second onboard LAN?

I've got a Quanmax KEMX-8200 series board with 1 Intel I217-LM and 1 Intel I210-AT. Is it possible to send a ping from one and get the reply from the other?

Both connected to the network, just ping the other IP.

I was hoping to do it with only a cable, or is having it connected to a network required?

Unless anyone else can say otherwise, you would need it plugged in because it is a piece of hardware, not a VM.

Since PING is a test to determine whether or not a client is connected to a network (an IP Network, using ICMP), I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. What are you trying to accomplish?

With that being said, you can just assign one of the interfaces a private IP and then unplug the cable and it should still ping through, but it's not coming "From" the other interface, I'm not sure why that matters to you. So you can ping the interface without having a network running, but it doesn't accomplish anything.

It will still PING in, with the DNS set to a local loopback, even if it's unplugged.

I stand corrected then :)

I've never really tried this before now. It actually still might work even without the DNS set to the 127 network, but who knows. Trying to run network diagnostics on an interface that isn't plugged in is luckily something I've been able to avoid for most of my life up until now. With that being said, I'm curious what OP is trying to do. I'm guessing he's trying to run some kind of test, maybe to determine which interface is faster? Diagnose some kind of issue?

You can connect one to the other directly. You can manually assign the IPs or let it auto assign a 169. address. (manually assign it is probably easier)

What are you trying to do?

Unfortunately it's not nearly as interesting as you may think. The real goal is simply to send traffic over both LANs and verify the traffic is is actually being sent/received (which is why I figured pings would do well). The broader scope has more to do with EMC testing, which is why I'd like to avoid additional hardware if possible.

So you're saying I can simply wire the two LANs together and ping 1 of the addresses and it will work? My concern was that I the LAN with the IP I'm pinging will be the one to issue the request and no traffic would be actually sent over the wire.

You would need a crossover cable to direct connect the two ethernet connections. Use a crossover cable you should be able to ping each not sure why. Unless you were just wanting to test to see if the ethernet port is working but you could just plug in directly to the switch or router for that.

NICs, there would be one 'LAN' the connection between the two NICs. (just fyi, not trying to nit pick)

You can specify a specific interface

ping -I <source interface> <destination>

10 years ago perhaps. These days you dont need a cross over cable, NICs are smart enough to detect this and will auto switch, its optional (but usualy implimented) on 100BASE-T and part of the 1000BASE-T standard.

You can check this running ethtool <interface>

Look for Supports auto-negotiation: Yes, MDI-X: off (auto)

[a@jupiter ~]$ ethtool eno1
Settings for eno1:
	Supported ports: [ TP ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Full 
	Supported pause frame use: No
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Full 
	Advertised pause frame use: No
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Speed: 1000Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Port: Twisted Pair
	PHYAD: 1
	Transceiver: internal
	Auto-negotiation: on
	MDI-X: off (auto)
	Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	Wake-on: g
	Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
			       drv probe link
	Link detected: yes

This will work on Linux; for Windows you would want to use Nping and -e to set the interface.

In fact, even on Linux you might want to check out Nping, which is a bit more robust than your standard packet internet network groping utility.

https://nmap.org/

1 Like

Thanks Eden. I haven't brushed up on my Networking in awhile....If you can tell haha.