Possible nvme dying... not sure

I’m always iffy on firmware updates because if that goes tits up thats your hardware dead, given that the drive is randomly cutting out due to motherboard issue, ssd issue, or os issue… its tipped a bit further into that iffy territory.

as for win 10, i’m sadly the tech guy in the family, I am running tech support far more often do win 10 then anything else, and these aren’t complete computer illiterates, im usually the ‘when all else fails call him’ person.

im going to have to move to 10 in the next year or so, some software I use is completely cutting 7 support, not to mention how much I want vr and future games… though general games are kind of crap now and most of what I want could have probably still worked on 98, but that’s beside the point.

but god I hate dealing with migration…

that said, didnt windows take away the ability to defer updates even on enterprise versions recently?

Works fine on my system, W10 Pro 1903

It’s in danish, but it’s Settings/updates/advanced settings/choose when updates should be installed. I’ve delayed it 365 days.
The one below is “quality update” which is bug fixes and security updates. No delay there.

I’m happy to report your fears of 10 are simply misguided. You should not even have to reinstall. An upgrade is a workable solution in its current state.

Theres a couple of pieces of software I’d recommend coming from 7.

• Open-Shell - a start menu and search replacement that looks more like classic windows versions
  • Shutup10 - a unified interface for tweaks that you can already do in windows 10 but are otherwise in different locations and menus.

I’ve been using the same 10 install for 4 years now at work and I can tell you that its been a lot nicer than 7 to troubleshoot and work with overall. I support about 25 people and have to help them with actual windows issues very infrequently.

You can migrate all your current windows 7 installs without even putting in new keys :wink: Though I would recommend anyone not on an SSD should be moved to an SSD.

1 Like

I can definitely second that it’s been usable for quite some time. It pissed me off a lot for about the first two years (work laptop), but for the last three years it’s been solid enough.

Come to think of it after that initial rollout, I’ve had to do very little “support” for coworkers, beyond installing ublock origin, getting them setup with a backup drive and pointing onedrive at their user folders for a secondary rollback/backup option. With windows 7 they were always coming up with very creative ways to make things weird.

Have you tried removing and reseating the nvme drive just in case.

1 Like

Due to the nvme location, its a bit of a pain in the ass to get to, but ill try this next time it decides to reset loop.

as for 10, is there any way to make it look just like 7 with aero, one of the biggest things initially that I hated was the minimalist no borders look.

also, is there any way to get a key for a good version of it or will I be going through sketchy means no matter what?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.