Possible New Phone?

This is primary me just looking for right now for something I might want in the future. Is there a way to get this phone and put Linux Mint or Ubuntu on it?

typically if it runs android and you can root it, you can throw a full linux chroot on it.

what are your requirements for a pnone other than:

• rootable (to chroot linux)
  • android
  • possibly physical qwerty (?)

it'd help people make suggestions and give you useful advice (for example, general linux compatibility with phone qwerty keys)

I basically want the phone to be more like a mobile computer rather than a more computer-ish phone. I really like the keyboard on it so that is a requirement. I would also like to be able to plug it into a hub and then plub a keyboard and mouse to the hub and a monitor for like a desktop experience then I could this say write some code on it.

do you want it to make calls?

have you considered a UMPC?

I would still like to make calls with the unit.

What is a UMPC?

Niche hardware market catering to people who don't like netbooks but still want a very mobile form factor.

chrooted linux will not run well on any reasonably priced phone btw. Like, rpi 2 bad or worse mostly

UMPCs also often have sim cards and let you make calls/use 3g

That may alter the direction I may go in. I dont mind using laptops for that but I would just like the option as well on the phone. I was called a nerd by a CS professor once, I like Linux for everything I do apart from a few games, I would prefer Git to Dropbox anyday so I would like my Linux tools in my pocket lol.

Get a SFOS phone then. solve both problems.

You get full fat, no bullshit linux with a useable UI, rpm package management, open repos, and an optional full qwerty keyboard, function keys and everything.

would you have any good examples of a SFOS phone?

Currently: Jolla (full keyboard with developer keys here, but also oldest HW) Jolla C, Turing phone, Intex aqua fish (cheapest at 75 USD) fairphone 2, several nexus phones, some sony stuff, the nokia n950 (also qwerty), INOI R7, Jolla Tablet, Oneplus X Onyx

Soon: Oysters SF, Ermak OMP, Xperia X, Puzzlephone

Plus this litany of community ports:

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

3 Likes

The blackberry priv is one of the very few android phones you cannot root as far as I know. The only thing on the privs xda page containing root is "root possible?" . There is almost no alternative that has modern hardware and a keyboard tho. If you want to get your feet wet at linux on a phone then I would recommend a nokia n900, nokia n9 or the ultrarare n950. Those ship with a mobile version of debian but their old. (I would still use that n950 as daily driver tho) You can't buy them new but I got my nokia n900 second hand for 40 euros.

If you want easy root but no keyboard then try a nexus or google pixel(fastboot). Samsung phones require odin and windows to root and most lg phones work with exploits (stagefright, ...) and is a pain if the android version is recent.

Personally I would buy a xaomi redmi note 4 global version. Decent specs, easy root and amazing price. But miui is a love or hate thing. I do love it

Update: I'll be making a post about how to flash to SFOS on the oneplus x. feel free to follow along with that or the redmi 2

2 Likes

I would go for a 'hackable' phone that is on lineageos's supported list, install the latest nightly build without any gapps, or if you prefer, you can compile everything yourself, there are readily available guides. The best alternative software repo to Google's malware store is f-droid. This is, if you prefer Android.