Possible HDD Failures?

So I currently use a few Terramaster DAS devices.

These are all the USB3/3.1 Direct Attached Storage devices with 5 bays each.

I have some older spinning rust Seagate ARCHIVE drives that I think are failing in an odd way.

I noticed a few weeks ago while doing some file maintenance on one of the drives it suddenly appeared to go offline but the enclosure didn’t seem to indicate it was offline.

However the file copying from this drive to another drive halted with a Windows File Explorer message about the file no longer being available and it could be on a device that is marked OFFLINE.

Well, I found I could power down the DAS unit this drive was installed into for about 15 minutes or so and then power it back on to get the HDD to respond once more.

I grabbed some new Seagate EXOS 18TB units to move the data from this HDD to the new drives as a precaution, during the copying/moving process I had this pattern repeat a few times until I grabbed all the data and copied it over.

The weird part is I have 3 other HDD’s in this same unit and they all behave just fine even if this and the second HDD appear to go offline, no problems with reading/copying/moving files.

The ONLY thing I need to test now is to try different slots/bays to see if this happens there or if any of the apparently good HDD’s suddenly go offline.

Anybody seen this behavior from GOOD HDD’s ?

Could it be the DAS unit itself ?

Crystal Disk Info is a free utility that reads the info from most drives; both hard disks and SSDs.

It may tell you if (and maybe how) one of your drives failed.

It is not unusual for one drive to fail when other similar drives do not. Variations in heat, usage, and vibration can all affect individual drives differently.

Connect the drive via SATA and run SEATools long test. If you have backed up all the data then also run an erase to check for errors.

Thanks for the response, going to finish recovering any data i need first and then run through these tests.

I bet there are some issues with both drives but have some more testing and troubleshooting to perform.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.