Possible dead board, I could use some feedback. (Long, but detailed and clear read)

Hello all, I just wanted some community feedback regarding a problem I've been having with my computer. A few days ago I removed my OS drive from my desktop and used it in a family members laptop. Ever since then when I try to boot my desktop PC up it will just turn on and then off repeatedly. I immediately checked any wires or screws that could be shorting my board or if I somehow dislodged the CPU an or 24 pin cable. Everything was connected. So that is when I started to sweat. before I continue specs.

CPU: i5 4570 haswell
Mobo: Asus Z87-C socket 1150
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance LP
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970
PSU: Corsair CX 600 non modular
Drives: 1x 1TB WD black and 1x 1 TB Seagate Barracuda.
1x Asus 16x DVD burner
5 case fans plus Heatsink fan
Hyper 212 Evo heatsink.

So after I checked to make sure nothing was disconnected I removed the power supply and tested it via the paperclip method and using a multimeter. I tested the power supply twice. the 12v volts rails were all good, if not a bit more than 12 volts, the 5 volt rails were good, as well as the 3.3v rails. the only wiring that concerned me was the BLUE wire on the 24pin connector which read -11.30 volts, to which it should read -12 volts. Now I believe the +/-12V rails all have a +/- 10% discrepancy so -11.30 should be fine as a reading, but other than that one reading nothing else seemed to be wrong with the power supply, as it powered on my fans, no strange smells or capacitor bulging.

So my next test was to disconnect everything and test the system to see if it was a possible component shorting the computer. So only having the CPU, motherboard and a single stick of ram installed I began testing the RAM slots. When I did this I was able to boot to the system bios all with but one of the sticks of ram. So at this point I figured it was a bad stick of ram. I connected my drives an reinstalled windows. However while I was in windows I did notice that when I booted straight to the bios I would get a "overclock failed" message and I would have to reconfigure my system in the bios.

So I went back into the bios and noticed that my RAM was being defaulted to 1333mhz while my RAM was rated at 1600mhz, I also noticed my chaFans were all spinning at 600rpm with exception to my cpuFan which was in the 1800rpm realm. So I tested the the ram again and this time some of the sticks of ram that had no issue before, were now causing my computer to turn on and off repeatedly again. I repeated my process an got the computer to boot again. now being down to two sticks of ram.

So after finally having the computer to boot again, I shut down the computer, unplugged it and took a break for a while. When I returned, the same problem persisted. Turn on computer only for it to shutdown and boot up again immediately after, repeatedly, never even getting to the BIOS or windows screen.

So at this point I am thinking it is a Motherboard problem, I've heard something about the CMOS battery being screwed but I don't know if that would cause such an erratic shutdown and reboot frequency. So if anyone that has had a lot of experience dealing with this problem or any type of tech sage could lend some feedback, that would be most appreciated.

If it turns on and off repeatedly without even posting to the BIOS then that's a known issue with a lot of the z97/z87 Asus motherboards.
In fact I have a maximus VII formula I am RMAing for the exact same issue.

Try clearing the cmos it might help.

How does one clear the CMOS, I've read either the 3 pin jumper or by completely removing the CMOS battery and either replacing or resetting it.

If your motherboard has a clear cmos key/switch that will be the easier route, otherwise there is a little battery on the motherboard that controls the CMOS settings.
Unplug the power, then after a bit, take out the battery and then put it back. That should do it.

I will try that and report back.

1 Like

I wouldnt be suprised if this turns out to be a psu issue.
Your particular psu isnt the most reliable in the world i have to admit.

That being true I did test all the connections with a multimeter and they all fall within their rated voltages. However the tests were conducted with the PSU not being under a considerable load. I only had a fan plugged into one of the molex pins.

Okay so I went back to my computer and I did not reset the CMOS battery, before I even did that I just wanted to test my machine to eliminate any other possibilities. So when I powered on my machine it posted and I was able to boot to windows, this is without questionable stick of ram. I tested all the other sticks of ram and they seem to be fine, I tested them in different configurations so as to eliminate the possibility of a bad ram slot. With testing I tried to recreate the shutdown and restart issue and was successful when I inserted the questionable ram module. The one stick is indeed bad and caused my machine to shut down and restart repeatedly, I also tried it in different slots with the same outcome.

I also found that when I inserted the bad ram into the B2 ram slot when I rebooted with it removed I did get an overclock failed message, and all my sticks reverted back to 1333mhz. I do have XMP enabled and CPUID reported my ram running at 799.9mhz which is 1600 since they are dual channel sticks. So right now I have my computer powered off everything is plugged in save for the GPU, I'm waiting to see if the problem persists when I return to it. But for now I have determined that it was a bad stick of ram, if the problem does persist I will try the CMOS battery and see if that fixes my problem. if anyone else has any other advice that would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Bad stick of ram, or your motherboard not liking that particular ram typ could also cause such weird issues.

Crossing my fingers it was just the ram, when I return hopefully the problem dsent persist when I get my computers guts back into the case. My desk looks like the Matrix ship right now.

Okay where to begin. So I returned and booted up my PC, at this point my PC was still gutted all the cables where out and my power supply not seated in the case. I figured okay, the computer booted nothing fishy is happening I'll put everything back in and go from there. So I naturally have to disconnect the 24 pin connector and CPU connector and some of the power cables for the drives and re route them. Once that was completed I attempted to boot the PC back up and again I get the power on/power off again. It does this repeatedly. So I did as was suggested I reset the CMOS. I did so via the RTCclear jumper on the motherboard, it was a small 3 pin jumper at the bottom of the board.

Once I did that I powered the PC on again and instead of the power on/power off issue, my computer wouldn't post and the DRAM LED was solid red. I waited about a good 30 seconds and the computer just randomly shut itself off, and then powered on again. I then disconnected one of the ram modules and powered the PC back up and the computer posted, but then shut off about after about a minute. So this is becoming a big issue. I am now down two sticks of ram and a computer that is flipping out on me. So I don't know if its and issue where the power supply is keeping my system from running too may components or part of the board is indeed damaged. please give me some feedback.

If you have a different PSU try that. Otherwise ... Time to start RMAs on what you can i think.

unfortunately the only other power supply is a really questionable HiPRO power supply that powered a 2008 HP desktop. I know it works but its a 250w power supply. All the components I purchased in 2013 so I don't know if they are still under warranty.

Hmm. Well, you can always check. Otherwise getting a new motherboard would be the next step...
Or a new PSU.

Or both. Damn, feels bad. Alrighty well thank you for the help and the feedback. Going to have to start mining for coins in the couch.

1 Like