Positives and negatives to ITX?

Well actually I think I might have found my champion. Unsure yet, though. And I am still looking, of course.

1 Like

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFktr6

This is the build I’ve come up with.

The 120mm scythe will go on the cooler, the 140mm fan in the front. I’ll have my 3 desktop sized HDD’s still, 2 in the caddies 1 in the drive bay, possibly replace my SATA SSD later on with the M.2 drives, both slots.

Haven’t heard bad about the fatality boards in a LOOOOONG time so seems as good as any.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

The NVMe slot is on the back of the board, save yourself some cable management and make use of it as soon as possible as having to take the Mobo out to actually stick one in will be a pain.

1 Like

Besides the obvious which is less features, in my professional experience ITX boards have a higher failure rate due to how compact the components. With that asside ITX usually also lacks overclockability though Asrock is trying very hard to buck that concept. At the end of the day ITX is a choice in vanity not functionality

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be likely under heavy stress scenarios? I also agree it is vanity, but I like it quite a bit.

if you’re referring to the failures, nah it’s usually random shit like a dimm slot will stop functioning, the onboard RGB will crap itself. i’ve seen a few of the itx strixx board boot loop at random. just generally weird shit you don’t normally see happen with full size boards.

Granted it’s still a small percentage compared to units sold.

the goal is small stackable machines that sit in flatbed cases…

I’m aware of the failure rates, thats why the fatality board. They don’t fail, if at least not often.

Theres a thread for this that I thought of after posting.

Well I’ll only have to do it once :stuck_out_tongue:

A ridiculously absurd statement. ITX is a choice that gets made for space-saving first and foremost.

It’s actually illogical to buy a motherboard with features you don’t use (something that does more than you need), and it’s simply a waste of room/desk/rack real-estate for it to be any bigger than it absolutely needs to be.

Saying ITX is a choice in vanity is like saying people only buy ATX to compensate for the fact they have small peni***.

In fact, now that I think about it, buying something way bigger than it needs to be, putting in a motherboard that has more ports, features and expansions slots than you’re ever going to use, cramming in a PSU that outputs far more power than is required, having an absurd number of fans, filling the case with glowing, pulsing and flashing lights, and having a transparent side panel so that you can admire and show off all the wasted money — isn’t that the very definition of vanity, and something that ATX owners are guilty of more than anyone else?

The ITX form factors are all about functionality and practicality. They do “what you need them to do” in “the space you have available”. A clear triumph of substance over style.

In that list you have “Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory”. You are aware of the significant performance hit that will be incurred by populating only one slot on a motherboard with a dual-channel memory controller?

There will be two sticks, just not immediately.

Lmao calm down didn’t mean to upset you and your square foot of space savings

4 Likes

Negligible*

2 Likes

I think a 500 W power supply would be enough for that, you won’t be doing a lot of overclocking in a small case anyway. (on the other hand, if it’s not much of a price difference, some future proofing for another build might justify the 750W)

One way of solving the RAM constraint (for compiling I assume?) would be to do it like wendell and maybe use an optane M.2 drive to keep responsiveness when you need more than the 32 GB you can fit in the 2 slots (at the moment you have only one 16 GB stick on the partspicker list btw.). Not ideal, I know and not a compromise I would make for saving some footprint but if that is where your priorities are this would be an option.

Depends on your use case. I run simulations and 2 sticks gives me a ~15% boost in actual throughput over a single stick. I’ll confidently call that “significant”.

If all you’re doing is wiggling the mouse whilst staring blissfully into your RGB-lit ATX case, then you’ll see less benefit — sure — but at that point I’m not sure that performance is even a metric you should be commenting about.

Based on a previous post, I think Aremis is going to use his new machine for a variety of tasks to start with, so who knows what averaged-out performance penalty he will end up having to endure for only having a single stick. Even if it’s 5%, that’s a significant-enough difference for “enthusiasts” to worry about. It’s certainly a mile away from “negligible”.

Given the current prices of RAM, though, I can fully understand why someone would want/need to delay topping off their rig. Aremis is aware there will be a penalty and is willing to put up with a slower machine whilst waiting for memory prices to normalise. That’s a pretty sensible thing to do. He’ll enjoy a big performance boost now thanks to the new CPU, and when he eventually gets the second stick of RAM he’ll enjoy another performance boost.

I have some possibility of getting the next vega series after my rx580 in a few years so the 750w is where I want to be with that. As well, I’m choosing a board with ulb c to do some tbolt hacking, so that power will be used one way or another.

Compiling, yes, video editing, I host game servers for my friends when we play multiplayer games, everything. I just use a lot of ram normally.

I know, there will be another one. Unless you wanna bung me 175 for a were 16gb of ram :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll keep the optane stuff in mind for sure.

Fight in the lounge get out of my thread.

Or I’ll force you out.

3 Likes

I got your back hon

1 Like

Oh fank yoos.

Big heckin smOOCH to you

I cleared the issue up in a pm. So you didn’t have to. But thanks anyways.

1 Like