Positives and negatives to ITX?

Small machines that I stack on top of each other a la HAF Stacker.

So, just a bunch of small computers?
Not a NAS solution, nor Memory requirements?

I mean 48 GB ram is my max that I’ll need, needs to be a ryzen 8 core, proper cooling, in a case that will allow for cooling and an RX580, at least the first machine.

Sorry I’m falling asleep a little bit.

Now, that really limits your options.

Many ITX MoBos can’t do more than 32GB RAM
A case that is small but can handle a RX580, also limits your options.
Water cooling becomes almost a necessity, as not many cases have the magical airflow of an Xbox360.

There are a few that will live up to this challenge.

The Node202 is nice, it comes with a 450W SFX PSU, which may not be enough for that setup.
Silverstone has some nice small (less than 12L) cases, and they have an SFX 500W PSU.

This is the part where small becomes a CON. Very limited options to fix the exact need you have. Though, it makes the decision process much easier.

“I want X, Y, & Z!!”
“You have only ONE CHOICE!! Thank you, drive through.”

1 Like

Yeah i wished that Asus would bring their vrm daughterboard designs back,
like they had on their ROG Impact boards in the past.
Its a pretty great design, especially for intel mainstream itx boards,
on which the vrm designs are a bit more complex.
But yeah its also pretty expensive.

1 Like

Pros:
Small AF
Easy to travel with

Cons:
Expensive parts (SFX psu etc)
Limited cooling potential
Limited parts that fit depending on how small you go

I’ll say its easier to travel with. My first lan experience with an itx machine drove me to get a gaming laptop

1 Like

Depends on ITX case, there are some quite large ones, if it doesnt require SFX psu its to big most likely

I used a silverstone sg13

1 Like

Well it really depends on the use case scenario i guess.
I personally generally see more con´s then pro´s wenn it comes to itx in general.
Because options are very limmited in terms of parts and expendabillity.

kinda big imo if your going ITX you need like NcaseM1 or A4-SFX or Skyreach 4 MINI

Which is the other thing I’m fighting with. I could just as easily get a GL702ZC and sell my 580 and almost get everything I want.

Well, minus storage that I already have.

Then I just plug in a USB C dock and BAM monitors, keyboard, mouse, everything. And I just stick the laptop somewhere.

Shtould I just do that? Am I making this too complicated?

Is both not an option?

Get a laptop with decent cpu and TB3 with no GPU

Have good desktop and just move gpu to an enclosure when you need the gpu power while traveling

No. I only make enough that I can do one or the other.

Unless you want me to start a go fund me or something :3

Do you have travel for an Lan soon or to somewhere you would need gpu?

Again this isn’t for a travel machine this is to tackle space constraints. This would be a general machine for general use every day from games to porting software and building code bases.

IE why I want a ryzen 8 core.

And games is a loose term. I play quake, counter strike, TF2, and fable 1 and thats about it right now lol.

Whats the budget? and Ideal Volume of case? or footprint you want to try to be within? ( I have a node 304 you could have for just the cost of shipping)

if you want to save space you should drop all this external accessory nonsense and put all the hardware in one case

2 Likes

I’m downsizing as much as possible. This includes moving furniture out of my room. The space where my mac pro currently fits on a dresser will be replaced by a .8 sq meter table that is low to the floor.

@MisteryAngel or other moderathor combine this and my other thread they cross over a lot. (HAF Stacker)

In any case I was looking at HAF stackers earlier as a case as that would fit the space.

Budget for the desktop is 900 max. The GL702ZC is useful enough to me that the 1400 would be worth it.

The external accessory nonsense is if I can’t fit it in a case to begin with.