Portable stereo mod: D cell -> 18650, Tape -> Bluetooth, CD -> Pi Zero music player (brainstorming)

Building one out of individual cells is not out of the question, all ideas welcome.

I have one of these bad boys

will charge just about anything you throw at it at a rate you choose. Its not bad for a cheap chinese pos.

1 Like

I have seen this used to charge a cobbled together block of 18650s being used to power an home made electric bicycle. It is definitely an option.

1 Like

Yeah, I bought one as an experiment in trying to save some 18650s from old laptop batteries to make my own solar off grid system. I ended up just going with SLA instead because it was not worth the work.

1 Like

Maybe put inside something of these …
https://allo.com/sparky-plug-and-play.html

1 Like

No Sir! That is way off the expensive end for what I have in mind. Sound quality is not an absolute essential, no need fo other outputs or conditioning or anything, this will be in a place where there is other rails, sledgehammers, welding, gantry cranes moving around, you are lucky if you can make out what song is playing other wise is is just a nice background beat.

Nice idea though for other things.

In 2000-2010 I used Sharp-WQ-T370 as PC speakers
Vintage-Sharp-WQ-T370-Surround-System-X-Bass
over ordinary cables.
w

If it just has to make some sound … maybe something like that

One step up from the tape adaptor.

Disable the tapdeck as much as possible, wire in the board from a dedicated Bluetooth speaker, DIY level, not amazing but a but involved.

Personally, I would use one of these old phones as an audio player and bluetooth transmitter. I would buy one of these cassette / bluetooth adapters and it’s ready. Of course, if the cassette in this works.

The sound quality is rather average but the environment will kill the quality. Range … adequate for bluetooth.
Alternatively, if this Philips has any audio input then … some cheap mp3 player connect to it.

Alternatively, you could use a radio transmitter. I used to use it for some time in the gym with an ipod broadcasting music to the hifi system.
s-l300 indeks
And as a player it can be anything with an audio output, phone, PI …

Also would work but would need two devices charged, it will always be a secondary option. I know they are all right a friend uses one in the car.

Range would be a potential problem too it is a large enough workshop and a second one next door that I sometimes go to for parts. So relying of Bluetooth or radio will probably not work out. The building blocks a lot of signal, mobile data and reception take a hit just going indoors.

I do not want to rely on the tape mechanism, as far as I know it works but not sure if that will always be the case and turning the motor for the tape drive would use up battery for nothing.

It probably will have Bluetooth as a fall back/nice thing to have/while im in there option and the radio will stay working but also don’t want to be retuning it all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So a project from the “art for art” series …

So everything in one box. And powered from one place … imho it only complicates situations.

What power requirements does this boombox have and what would it be, for example, PI zero. Can you easily power it all from the battery without adding extra parts to the power section?
No matter what you put in there, the batteries will be a weak link.
Since distances and distortions in the ether are an obstacle, wireless solutions can be deleted from the list.

Something must work as an audio player / source and the boombox will only supply power and speakers.
You need to plug into the circuit of this boombox. Since the cassette is NO, and fm is NO … And if you don’t have ready audio input in this boombox. The only thing you can do is plug in existing audio circuit. But you still need the signal source and the right power section.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-an-old-tape-player-boombox-to-an-MP3-Boomb/

1 Like

images

3 Likes

Well that’s just crazy, really cool but not for me at all.

That is amazing! Have to remember that.

1 Like

That’s right, not for you. :wink: I just remembered it from years ago and thought that interesting little jk in the context of sound transmission wirelessly. :wink:

1 Like