Port Forwarding With Proxmox

Hey guys, stop me if this is in the wrong category, but I thought it would be most relevant here.

So I’m trying to set up a Minecraft server in a VM on my Proxmox box but I’m having some issues. (Laugh all you want lol)

As I understand bridged networking, it basically treats it as its own device and it does DHCP with the router, but correct me if I’m wrong.

The IP of the physical machine is 192.168.1.44

ifconfig (The VM is ubuntu server) shows the VM’s IP being 192.168.1.38, so I opened up port 25565 to that IP, but I can’t connect to it over WAN. Port checker shows the port is closed, but also shows port 8006 being closed. (It definitely isn’t, as that;s the port I have open to use the Proxmox WebUI on WAN and that works fine.)

Am I doing something wrong? I have to call my ISP and have them open up ports for me, they don’t give me access to the router. (ISP is Mi-Fiber). Are they doing something wrong? Anything I should ask them or have them do?

I really appreciate any advice.

There might be something to that conversation with your ISP. Did you ask them to open up ports, or did you ask them to forward port 25565 to 192.168.1.38?

Also, just to be sure. Can you connect to your Minecraft server from a machine on the same 192.168.1 network?

I asked them to forward port 25565 to 192.168.1.38, sorry, should’ve been more clear. I’ll give them a call and make sure they actually did it, and did it right.

I’ll try to connect on the local network right now, never even thought to.

Update, I was able to connect on the local network. So at least that’s not the problem.

That’s good. So now when you get someone from your ISP on the line, you can have them spin up Minecraft and try to connect as a test to make sure everything is working. :slight_smile:

Edit:
Seriously though, do mention that the application in question is Minecraft. See if it lights up any red flags on the ISP’s side. Maybe they block that application specifically? Who knows.

So I called them up, and it turns out that the port was just open, not forwarded to the VM.

:frowning:

I asked the guy on the phone to forward it for me, he doesn’t know how to do that and has to elevate me to level 2. reeeeeeee

Thanks for your help @Levitance!

1 Like