Pop!_OS; VirtualBox 6.1

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win10 .

VirtualBox can’t enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

AND HOW DO I DO THIS?=!

I’m so fucking pissed of right now, because the windows install on qemu-kvm SUCKED, it’s 800x600 resolution and I can’t change it, don’t get it why it’s acting that way, so I was thinking, maybe I should test Virtualbox, but it seems that I should just uninstall it and use quickemu instead.

So Pop! eventually crashed, as usual, it’s been mutter that dies or gnome, have no Idea, anyway, hate them both, I want back to an X11 Plasma system. I gave Crack Pop! a chance, and the tiling can be added in plasma too… Kind of.

In that instance, I figured out that VirtualBox is a bitch, it will not have it that you use KVM before or at the same time, without having a breakdown, where it gives you a compile error, so just reboot the computer, and quickemu sucks… quickgui hanged on me and the vm wouldn’t take any keyboard commands more than ctrl + alt + delete.

Whether you are using KVM or VirtualBox you’ll want install the corresponding VM guest drivers to enable video acceleration and the ability to change resolutions. For Windows guests I recommend using the SPICE display adapter.

Correct. You cannot run two hypervisors at the same time

1 Like

Noticed, found a video about the spice tools, and it works flawlessly.

From my experience, VirtualBox requires some kernel modification, I think it usually prompts you to install a virtual-box header that corresponds to your kernel version, or virtualbox-host-dkms to build your kernel with its module.

I prefer virt-manager because it doesn’t need that, and it just works better for me. This is where I learned how to create a Windows virtual machine in KVM correctly: winapps/KVM.md at main · Fmstrat/winapps · GitHub (spice-guest-tools is also included in the virtio-win.iso image, so just open the mounted cd image once you’re done installing Windows)

It covers everything up to having the guest OS running. If you don’t want the hassle, you can use quickemu with quickgui. I personally prefer virt-manager’s UI, so I don’t use it often.

That said, the guide is part of a guide to be able to use your VM’s apps seamlessly from your Linux host. It’s pretty useful if you need to use Office or Chrome on Windows or something.

A gotcha I found though is that using Virtio for video makes the guest won’t resize to VM window size, which isn’t a big deal with winapps but if it bugs you then you can just use QXL video.

It doesn’t cover file-sharing between machines though. For that, I’d recommend using samba with either gadmin-samba or system-config-samba for easy settings.

If you want to follow link, then you need to add in the /etc/samba/smb.conf:

follow symlinks = yes
	wide links = yes
	unix extensions = no

And if you want to execute stuff you have to add:

acl allow execute always = True

Also, if you want Windows guest to be able to automatically discover your Samba share, you have to have either wsdd or wsdd2 running (just sudo systemctl enable --now wsdd or wsdd2).

1 Like

Well, I have a functional QEMU-KVM now, and I have figured out how to have a funtional Windows install in it, so I’m skipping VBox entierly.