Pop!_OS black screen after login

So I decided to install linux on my gaming PC and went with Pop!_OS for the supposed ease of installation and use.
Now I have a pretty janky setup, so I expect problems, but I didn’t expect to not even get past the login screen.
Specs:
I5-6600k @4.2Ghz
Gigabyte Z170-Gaming-K3
16GB 2400mhz RAM
RX 480 - hooked up to LCD through hdmi-dvi cable
HD 7850 - hooked up to CRT through DVI-VGA adapter
WD blue 500GB SSD Pop!_OS boot drive, GPT partition scheme
Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 boot drive, MBR partition scheme
1TB HDD, partitioned as storage for both systems and swap for Pop!_OS, MBR partition scheme

I could install the system no problem, after completed installation I rebooted into the newly installed system and everything seemed fine and both GPUs were even outputting as expected throughout the whole process unlike windows 7 which tends to be very unstable. However, since restarting again I can’t get past the login screen, after typing in my password I get a black screen with a text cursor blinking on my main display. I’ve tried pressing CTRL+ALT+f2 on the login screen and the same thing happens.
It only becomes responsive again after pressing the power button at which point it will completely gray instead and if I press escape it shows me the usual linuxy shutdown text.

I suspect this has something to do with GPU drivers given the jankyness of using two GPUs from different generations in the same system, as it’s led to unending bluescreens under windows. Further complicating matters I don’t think the HD 7850 is supported by the new fancy AMD linux drivers like the RX 480 so that might be the problem as Pop!_OS supposedly automatically has the best most modern drivers by default.
Is there a way to work around this using the install USB or that one initial boot after installing where I actually get into the system or some other way to fix this? Is it another issue entirely?

What Pop OS version you download?
You need to use the Intel/AMD , not the Nvidia version

Got the intel/amd version, latest version off of the website.

Update: tried reinstalling again and using my first boot to check what gpu drivers were running and it was running amdgpu for the rx 480 and radeon for the hd 7850, I tried enabling experimental support for amdgpu for gcn 1 in the grub file, but sadly once I rebooted I once again got stuck after typing in my password.

Tried installing lubuntu instead and thus far everything is working pretty great so far, with some ocasional glitchyness, like when I ran nexuiz on the crt and after closing it the terminal suddenly became larger than both screens combined and after som messing around everything crashed with the main display getting covered in a layer of garbled text in various colours, so not completely stable, but that’s to be expected with my setup, since I also enabled the experimental amdgpu support on the 7850.

Still would like to use Pop!_OS though, given its relative ease of use and lubuntus default repositories leave a bit to be desired.