Pop!_OS; amdgpu-pro

I’m having problems installing the amdgpu-pro driver. I fudged up while installing the amdgpu pro opencl driver.

sudo apt install amdgpu-pro-dkms
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
amdgpu-pro-dkms is already the newest version (17.40-492261).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Setting up amdgpu-pro-dkms (17.40-492261) …
Removing old amdgpu-17.40-492261 DKMS files…

Deleting module version: 17.40-492261
completely from the DKMS tree.

Done.
Loading new amdgpu-17.40-492261 DKMS files…
Building for 5.15.5-76051505-generic
Building for architecture amd64
Building initial module for 5.15.5-76051505-generic
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.15.5-76051505-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.15.5-76051505-generic (amd64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/17.40-492261/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package amdgpu-pro-dkms (–configure):
installed amdgpu-pro-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
amdgpu-pro-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

How do I check what is installed and not?

sudo lshw -c video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
version: e7
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
resources: irq:83 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:fce00000-fce3ffff memory:c0000-dffff

First, the obvious question, do you even need the amdgpu-pro driver? I only see a legitimate use case for it if:

• You use a Radeon PRO card
  • … And you need legacy OpenGL support
  • … Or legacy OpenCL support
  • … Or legacy Vulkan support

If the above does not fit in on your use case, and all you want to do is play games on your fancy new 6900 XT, then you do not need the pro drivers and should just do a sudo apt purge amdgpu-pro-*.

Otherwise;

1. Head on over to the official AMD site and download the drivers:
  1. Install the amdgpu install script, note that this is not the proper driver:
cd ~/Downloads
sudo apt-get install ./amdgpu-install-VERSION.deb
  1. Run the installer, I will defer to the official documentation here.

https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/21.40/install-script.html

I purged and reinstalled the normal drivers with opencl support. I mine with my gpu when I don’t game, so I do need at least opencl. I don’t get it why it’s not installed from the getgo in the kernel though.

I should try to contact Linus about that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: He speaks Swedish so. ^^

because it’s got binary blobs. It’s the same problem as Nvidia.

I was able to mine on my 6900xt with the standard drivers, just fine.

1 Like

This, pretty much. Although if you check the other thread, he seems to be running an RX 580. Not sure if Polaris still allows OpenCL with the open drivers.

Bottom line though, if you are rocking a Navi card (5x00 series) or later, OpenCL should be possible with the current drivers. I do not know about Polaris (RX 4x0 and RX 5x0) or Vega though, anyone else may comment on that.

I found out how, you only install part of the amdgpu drivers. Download the pro drivers and run:

amdgpu-install --opencl=rocr

Nothing else necessary.

2 Likes

Good for you, for me it can’t identify the GPU unless I install OpenCL, and when I have, it’s solid.

I did that on my second reinstall, everything works fine now, except qemu-kvm that keeps on stating that it doesn’t have permissions to use libvirtd… I don’t get it. The system might just need a reboot. So I’m not to worried about it.

Edit. Yes, all it needed was a reboot. Followed this guide, because the text one’s that I found was CRAP.

Whoever keeps telling people not to reboot

We don’t have sysV anymore, we need to reboot

Blender has also dropped support for OpenCL( v3.0) in favor of HIP… Looking into the future, the slowest burn at AMD has been HSA (ROCm etc ) AMD needs to pick it up.

1 Like