Poor Performance w/ R9 290 on KDE Neon

I had a 290 on linux and had this issue many moons ago.

Tells you current power settings for the card.

cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

Force higher performance mode for GPU. Lasts until reboot.

sudo echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

sudo echo performance > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

Its strange that you still have this issue when using the mainline kernel, as this was a known issue up until the 4.9 kernel. Past that it was resolved in the volcanic island groups, so what you have is a regression issue. I believe this might just be KDE Neon specific; I’m on Solus (4.13.7-27.current, using amd-gpu) and I don’t have this issue with a AMD Fury (Fiji). AFAIK, this doesn’t happen when using Arch, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, or Fedora with >=4.9 kernels. Also, when I was on Ubuntu Mate (4.10), this was not an issue; you may want to consider switching to that if this doesn’t pan out.

Sorry are you reffering to linux-firmware? Mine’s at 1.157.12 the stock version for xenial.

Alright so I set those but it seems that the issue persists. Yeah if this keeps happening I might have to move on which is a shame I’ve really been enjoying Neon this is just a big issue. Might hold off for a bit I’ve been contemplating side grading to a used i7 4790K from ebay and going the VFIO route the IOMMU groupings for my motherboard seem to be good for it.

Yes. In the Debian realm, firmware-linux is separated into free and nonfree; I needed the non free for my gpu. You could always grab the latest radeon firmware from kernel.org and drop that into your firmware directory.

I currently have 20170823 currently installed. You may want to see what the creation date is of that firmware package.

Found your problem lol. A lot of games have had a few tweaks here and there to prefer the newer kernels that are available. A 290 ceally should be capable of more than 80 fps in almost anything on linux. If you haven’t yet, go to ubuntu 17.10 when you get the chance, even if you use kubuntu. No more X! Its all wayland there.

I half want to blame the kde replacement for x, kwin?, Because it doesn’t have that much to it yet I don’t think, though I don’t follow kde that closely anymore.

Just some thoughts.

Mastic Warrior, thanks I’ll make sure to check that out. If it’s older I’ll try out what you suggested.

Aremis, I don’t think that would be the issue. The performance is poor compared to Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 also I tried out newer kernels. Right now I’m on 4.13.8 from mainline. KDE still uses X and has a Wayland option too, Wayland is really unstable for me with 5.11 though. Thanks for the suggestions though, 17.10 is a pretty good release I’m using it on my laptop!

Interesting then… Does GLXGears throw out anything weird? Anything odd in journal towards start up or when you try to load up a game? Does the card take too much power / make too much heat? I know the 290 was hotter than hades himself, so could a fan not be working? Have you tried cranking your fans to max?

The reason I brough up the kernel was AMDGPU. You could try the ati drivers or the pro drivers as well.

Hey guys sorry for not following up for so many days been pretty busy… So ultimately I just switched to Kubuntu 17.10 and my performance sky rocketed! For example I went from 5 fps in HOI4 to around 200 fps. So what was wrong with Neon? I’m not a 100% percent sure but apparently they were missing some 32bit packages. I know this causes dependency hell with the padoka unstable ppa but I don’t know if it would contribute to any performance degradation. Still really odd with both distros I was most recently using Mesa git through padoka’s unstable ppa and was using kernel 4.13 but there were massive performance differences. By the way thanks for all the help, everyone I really appreciate it!