(POLL) What would you do in this situation (PC use and needs)

Thanks for reading this, very much appreciated :smile:

OK, what would you do in this scenario:

Have:
4C / 8T Win10 Tower for single threaded work (CAD, 3D Modelin’)
6C / 12T Win7 Tower (ECC RAM, 2011 Socket) use as a Mid to Long term server, spare workstation and ‘render machine’ even though it’s feeble in the Cores department.

Would like:
Render Machine
Single Thread Machine
Spare Workstation
Server (FreeNAS)

There’s a small chance I take the FreeNAS Server out of the office and use it at home in the distant future, and add Plex, family file backup/storage etc.

Which is sensible / practical:

• If money permits (which it could do if I saved) - Threadripper Build (Render and spare WS), Use 6C Tower as FreeNAS Server, 4C as main WS (WorkStation)
  • Don’t bother with a render machine and just hire/buy Render Nodes. Have FreeNAS and VM of Win7/Win10 as spare WS on 6C Tower. 4C as main WS
  • 6C Tower, Sell CPU (E5-1650v4) and ECC RAM and use to pay towards 2nd hand 6950X (seen one for £600) and Non-ECC RAM. Use upgraded Tower as FreeNAS Server and Render WS (Although I’ve read FreeNAS is best with ECC).
  • Another Idea (described in post).

0 voters

Thanks for any other comments in advance! :+1:

Just an additional, I would wait for the Threadripper 2, but it’s probably going to be too expensive and more importantly won’t be very functional with it’s lower clock speed (I read it’s going to be around 3GHz or lower) when it comes to being used as a spare workstation.

Thanks for everyone that’s voted so far, very much appreciated! :smile:

I am waiting for Threadripper 2 purchase now, but I did think instead of splitting my savings for the rig, build and forking out extra for two Threadripper 1950x systems instead. Mainly due to how low the 1950x CPU has become; £669 in UK.

1950x at about 3.4GHz is reasonable enough for my needs, so half as spec’ed out WS for me seems a viable option. But the way the new ones are looking to be for cores and threads is just too enticing!

EDIT: As of 24/06/2018 Threadripper 1950x is £650 on Amazon

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed the price too, although lowest I’ve seen is just a smidge under £700. The mobo’s are quite expensive though aren’t they, I was looking at the Designare as a long termer…then there’s the RAM :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I did see a claim that Threadripper 2 will be 4Ghz (be it single threaded), even so, that’s pretty good. I did upgrade’ish from a 3.6GHz Turbo CPU to a 4GHz Turbo CPU and didn’t really see the difference. I then built a single thread focused machine with a 7700K @ stable 4.8GHz and it’s great. Do keep us updated, I reckon you’ll get Threadripper 2 before I get Threadripper…ummm 1 :smile:

Threadripper 2 isn’t JUST going to be 32 core or 24 core models.

i’d be very keen to see what the 12 and 16 core threadripper v2s clock to.

i reckon they’ll be way better single thread, and if like v1 they are top 5-10% binned dies, you may see 4.3-4.4ghz boost on single core on them… based on non-binned 2700x dies boosting to 4.3 out of the box…

1 Like

I hadn’t read beyond the the headline grabber, thank you very much for that. So I might even end up getting a TR2 with 16 Cores, just depends on price really, hope it’s competitively priced…not that it takes much compared to Intel.

I do this…

1 Like

Sort of in the same position and mindset. The prices currently for 1950x are tantalizing indeed. But, I am thinking I’ll wait for TR2 and a x399 refreshed board. Even if the TR2 I select is a 16 core (2950x ?). I have no practical need or justification to warrant a 1950x, let alone a 2990x or 2970x, other than I want just to build a HEDT. If the 2950x uplift is comparable to what 1700x to 2700x was, I’ll be a player.

1 Like

Hey @Delta9K , Thanks for your comment, I meant to answer sooner, but that darn time only goes forwards.

Lowest price for the 1950x is £650’ish (UK), so it’s probably looking around the £1500 mark may be? RAM, SSD(s), Mobo, case, cooler…probably be wise to wait as long as possible, may be RAM prices will go down now that the public know about the 50% addition the makers chose to add (I believe that’s correct).

I guess, like your good self, I’ll wait until prices are out, would make no sense to get an ‘older’ TR1 16C if the newer one comes out cheaper, etc. When you go ahead and if it’s before me (probably will be), do let me know. :+1:

Threadripper 2 plus the MSI Creation motherboard is where I’d put the money. XFR2 can handle the single threaded tasks and you could run Windows in a VM while your other workloads run in a host OS.

1 Like

buying used parts is an option too.

Have seen Asus Zenith extremes go for 150€ including the 10Gbe card.

Interestingly, 2 in damaged condition also went for 150 and more.

1 Like