Poll: What Machine To Purchase For Review

Gonna give this till the end of tomorrow I think. So far x360 is on top, and to be honest the more I’ve been looking at it it makes the mest sense for me rn so I wasbprobs going to getbit anyways lol but still get one of the other 2 if one of them won.

Nah I’ll give it till wednesday on my payday.

I picked the x360. It seemed like the best deal. Originally, I thought that the System76 computer was 23,400 dollars. My jaw dropped:) If you upgrade the SSD to 1TB, the HDD to 2TB, and the ram to 32gb, it’s only four hundred dollars more. I say this because you seem to be willing to buy another computer for a thousand more than this one.

I’m only considering the 32GB ram for the VRAM expansion. And if I do that I’ll do the 128GB SSD. I only wanted the 512 for scratch disk space. If I could do the 240 and the 1TB I’d be happy, but I can’t for some retarded reason.

Have you used any of S76 recent stuff?

I used a 6th gen Oryx for a weekend. I liked it a lot. Case felt nice, keyboard was that nice chiclet that I like, sturdy, fans liked to ramp up though. I assume thats not a problem 2 years later.

Ahh. Because the chicklet keyboard on the 2015 lemur was utter shite.

1 Like

go get an HP NW8000 and experience bliss. 2016 oryx was kinda close-ish.

I have a Razer Blade Stealth late-2017. I’m in bliss :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

some odd part of me wants the omen to win haha. IDK why, not as good as the oryx or as stupidly useful as the X360.

Yeah? How is that me_cleaner working out for ya? :wink:

Runs Solus just fine.

1 Like

X360 looks like a sure winner. I’ve been looking at picking one of these up.
The omen looks like a bloated cow.

3 Likes

They’re pretty nice. Aside from the random video lag it’s actually been a very good laptop for me.

Only thing is that people sometimes mistake Vega 8 as a gaming GPU. It is really not, it’s just a reasonable iGPU.

Exactly what I want. I COULD do the omen or the oryx, and I’ll probably do an oryx when I have the cash to dump and I don’t want a desktop anymore (in like 2 years?), but looking at this now, I want something I can do some code on, do some art on, that has a touch screen, and will run TF2 at 200FPS. This is perfect for me.

And I want to support AMD.

And if a version comes out in a month and a half thats set up with a 2700U I’m grabbing that.

1 Like

I’ll wait till wednesday. See what happens.

Its actually a nice machine.

Also I want to note here that, though some reviews said that at load the battery life was anywhere from 3-5 hours, on battery I’ll at most be doing web and text documents, and seeing the notebookcheck review it says 426 minutes, or 7.1 hours.

I’m not worried at this point. The votes appear to have slowed so I may just close the poll now. Or in the morning maybe.

If you guys have specific tests from my list of stupid / ridiculous benchmarks that you want me to do, or specific things to check out, let me know. I’m going with a 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD model. I might bump to the 32GB if I need to.

Link to the article in question: https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-x360-15z-Ryzen-5-2500U-Vega-8-SSD-FHD-Convertible-Review.290638.0.html#h_pricecompare_288514_0125283001524971239

Thank you for voting.

Edit: My benchmark list. Not much has been added to it. Might make a new thread and update the list now that I have a whole new spec block that I’m dealing with.

I went with System76. Max it out and get rid of everything else.

Or if you don’t care about size there’s this:

That’s what I have my eyes on next. It won’t be for a while though. I don’t have the funds at the moment.

Haha I very much consider the size. If you can get some more voters to make this more interesting before tomorrow at like 5PM then all to you. But at this point I think I’m doing the X360, with an oryx in window of next year or later than that.

Also that ROG is way too expensive. The oryx pro is about as high as I’ll want to go.

TBH I’ll probably get rid of 90% of what I have now and keep a few machines, my current desktop, an imac, my mac pro, macbook and ibook, amiga, my 2 personal fave machines, and my project box, ditch everything else. IDK if anyone would buy it, but maybe I’ll post it.

Gunna go take care of some horses then when I come back home I’m going to close the poll. Its close now!