Poll Syndicate

My kid will also be probably be running around and while I will likely be on earphones, I’d appreciate if we keep the content close to family friendly, just in case the earphones disconnect.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Is my new avatar a squirrel or a bunny?

• Squirrel
  • Bunny
  • When it grows up it will decide for itself

0 voters

1 Like

Looks a bit like a pokemon. Its fine.

2 Likes

bunny

2 Likes

So contrarian.

#InternetArgument

4 Likes

nah the bunny is just hornier so no contest

4 Likes

It looks like a fox with big ears.

2 Likes

What do you think of Protonmail’s new look?

• The pretty
  • They okay, but don’t look like Proton
  • They uggo

0 voters

I think the new site looks great. But the icons are too generic so you don’t really know they’re Proton. They feel like they were made for the new Apple aesthetic.

1 Like

I just don’t like flat UI theming in general, looks like every other generic icon that’s been made in the last eight years. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I really hate the looks. The interface is fine though.

1 Like

House always wins

:troll:

But yeah nice arbitrary determination of a random process

:ok_hand:

4 Likes

Faun’s back I guess?

2 Likes

So that one Rick & Morty episode is now defunked lol about Pluto not being a planet. Oh lord, Morty’s dad was right!!! Everybody just run and hide

1 Like

Downsizing daily driver from ATX. Should I?

• Go mATX
  • Go uITX
  • Just don’t

0 voters

• Replace mobo, case and psu
  • Make a new build, sell old one
  • Make a new build, keep old one as a server

0 voters

1 Like

I downsized from an ATX case to an ITX case and I do regret a lot of things. I originally wanted more desk space and my Phanteks shift offered the space I wanted, but the airflow is very odd so I had to mod my case to get better ventilation. Also Liquid cooler orientation makes most AIOs useless since air will climb to the pump at the cpu block. Worst of all with GPUs now using more power draw needing a bigger heatsink, it makes gpu choices a lot more complicated if you want a high end model. (Edit:) In my Case if the GPU is too long then you are forced to have the fans facing the motherboard, spin it the other way and a long and especially wide GPU will run into the PSU.

Picture of my ITX PC

I do wish I went with a mATX system instead of ITX to allow better airflow and the choice to use a heatsink instead of an AIO. Next build I do I am going to try to make it use parts that dont need software to run and dont rely on liquids lol.

2 Likes

I think this would be better off as a new thread. There’s a lot of things we don’t know: current components (power consumption and TDP), needs and wants (performance, noise levels, expandability), usage (web browsing only, gaming, video editing, compiling the Linux kernel) and so on.

If you don’t need the power and are fine with gaming at 720p, I could recommend the Asrock Desk Mini x300 or the MSI Business PRO DP20Z M5. But I don’t recommend people usually downsize their computing performance, unless they are going through a serious life change.

Just for downsizing, if you don’t need the full-size expansion cards, i.e. you don’t mind using half-height GPUs, then the InterTech IT-607 case was a very solid case, I had it and was very good for what I needed it to do. There are better looking (although I enjoyed the piano black finish) and more expensive cases, and larger cases in case you want more expansion. But I would say microATX to be a better option than ITX as a rule of thumb. You never know when you may want to add more USB ports or a second GPU for other workloads, or a M.2 expansion card.

Many mATX cases aren’t that much larger than most ITX cases that are made to accommodate full sized GPUs anyway. A Fractal Design Node 804 or a Thermaltake Core V21 or a BitFenix Prodigy M would be small enough and still offer plenty of expandability and cooling space.

There is very few reasons you’d want to go ITX, among them being if you need to downsize your house / room, you don’t need a lot of performance anymore, but still want to keep some GPU expandibility (because otherwise, NUC sized computers are just hands-on better, like the Asrock or MSI mentioned above), or if you have lots of money to spend and want a unique looking small system, like the Dr. Zaber Sentry, the Conswola case Wendell reviewed, or the NFC Skyreach 4 Mini. And of course, you must know for sure you won’t be expanding your system, but build a new one in the future, or make an adjacent PC, like a NAS, to improve on the current one through the network. But having 2 PCs kinda defeats the purpose of having a SFF PC, unless you are using the NAS on other things than just your PC.

4 Likes

Thank you Biky, for giving it so much thought!
Currently I’m only gauging the populi opinion.

I did not want to start a threat as it was just a quick an dirty question that popped in my mind. But below you will find some context.

The context

Current PC:
ATX form factor, 10600K, 32GB, RTX2060, 2x1TB NVME, Meshify C case.
The PC fulfills my current needs. I will upgrade once the GPU becomes to weak or I run out of cores. It can be solved with simple component swaps.

Other factors:
I’m going to have to dismantle our home-office soonTM, as I need to repurpose the room. I’ll probably move the smaller desk to the living room, and set up there. The bigger desk will be put in storage or sold. My desk that is my working area is also my gaming area. I know, not healthy, but I’m living on 58m^2. From this sprung the idea, if I end up using the smaller desk, maybe I could downsize the PC - I do not want to downgrade it.

2 Likes

Yeah, downsizing for this setup should be possible by just buying a motherboard and case. mATX should do fine IMO.

I think the Node 804 would be the easiest to work with, but it’s pretty wide, so using a lot of desk space.

The Thermaltake Core V21 is more compact and should fit a founder’s 2060. Bonus points for the Thermaltake that the cases can be stacked. But the downside is that 2 GPUs would be a bit* hard to cool in it, besides the top one choking a bit from the bottom one.

The prodigy m is the sex appealing battlestation worthy case and has handles, which is a big plus for myself personally and can accommodate 2 large GPUs.

I think for cooling potential, it’s the Fractal, then Thermaltake, then Prodigy, because the prodigy has weird airflow due to the PSU placement.

I’d go with Thermaltake, because I’m a cheapskate.

3 Likes

Here was my solution on both the Phanteks Shift and Shift X before they made the mesh and now the second iteration with better vetilation. :wink:

I could go on for hours about builds that are smaller vs heat and performance vs sound. :slight_smile: its like a triangle metric lol…actually that would be a square…hummm…

2 Likes