[Poll] Do you back up?

I was so hoping to see someone use tape haha, anywho I keep my files on my main PC, then I just copy over my important music/pictures/financing and other documentation over to a USB stick that I carry everywhere with me. Maybe I should have a random HDD where I just plug it in once in a while to store data, honestly thats the most anyone really needs imo.

I guess all of my data at work is backed up to tape. I have all of my folders on one of our servers instead of the local machine and our servers are backed up to tape every morning.

1 Like

I backup my memes on a flashdrive, thats it.

1 Like

What about the meme arsenal or whatever it is? Wouldn’t that technically be an offsite backup?

technically yes but it hasnt been updated in several months
havent gotten around to sorting 400 something new images

On my main desktop, I back everything up to second internal drive and that also gets synced up to my NAS. The NAS then gets backed up to an external drive weekly. Unfortunately its still all single site. I’ve considered getting more external drives and rotating those offsite, perhaps doing a trade agreement with a friend with his data.

I have never backed up a single one of my personal PCs.

For my users and servers however that is backed up. To a NAS and then the NAS is backed up to cloud.

Computers map their libraries to a NAS. NAS is mirrored. NAS is backed up to two external hard drives manually and they are swapped off site when I remember to.

Game saves, family photos and other important data I back up to OneDrive, other less important like media files gets backed up to my file server, which is my old C2D server with one 4tb HDD in it. Haven’t set up any automated or scheduled back up. I just run few rsync commands occasionally.

Not exactly a backup but all of my personal files, stuff I have created or collected over the years. IE not replaceable with a clean install. There is a copy on GDrive and another on OneDrive. I also have copies of both on hard drives external to my system. Those copies on hard drives are around a month old at this point

Home i have 5tb wd mybook plugged in all the time. Just runs in the background for most files exept the easy to replace. Also have a 2 tb portable that gets plugged in from time to time for just the more important stuff. Photos mostly. Should probably keep it in my safe now that I think about it.

For work its a pair of I think 2tb portables that cycle between my house and work. Has saved the office twice now. Before I worked here backups didnt exist.
Tried to do a network nas but could never get it to connect and work properly.

Windows
Full disk (for restore convenience) backups to Freenas with Veeam.

Linux
Home directory nightly backup to Freenas with Deja Dup.

Data on FreeNAS shares
Periodic snapshots.

Rclone local copy backups, snapshots to backup drive.
Rclone encrypted nightly copy of everything new to Backblaze B2. Separate buckets and lifecycles for different backups.

1 Like

I literally only back up things like my resume which i keep a running copy of… that’s about it. I could nuke my PC at any time and not worry about it.

2 Likes

For my linux installs I use DejaDup as weekly backup of all data to an external drive. Whenever I visit trusted friends I bring a refreshed backup of important data like documents, family pictures and my audio collection on a 2.5 drive thats encrypted with random keys (taking the older backup with me to refresh next time).

I dualboot to Windows but never backup any data there cause it’s only for gaming and who cares about game saves?!

I also backup super important things like the backup of my password manager to borgbase with vorta (amazing tool btw) and another hosted server which has that data in an ecryptfs folder.

I also test to restore a backup before using the software and at least verify the remote backups and check if I can restore them every couple months.

Apparently I am paranoid - looking at this thread. :wink:

Important info is on multiple computers in multiple places and DVDs in multiple places. NES/PSX/Steam saves are in my email, and important data is also encrypted on google drive. Non-important stuff on multiple computers and external drives.

Test before I store and forget them then years later I go through them and wonder why I did a backup of half the stuff in the first place.

I back up the more important stuff i have in 100gb BD-RE XL discs, the less important stuff on spare Toshiba 1tb drives.

All of my important data stays on Freenas. I tend to try and work on any documents from that mapped drive and if I create a new file on local PC I try and remember to push to NAS and work from there. Hopefully soon will have a backup Freenas for the house and another one going to a friend’s house. They will use the Freenas zfs send receive to sync the data.

I takes a full disk image without a working system and validates the copy. The copy is encrypted with AES256. Then inserted into the veracrypt AES-Twofish-Serpent container and placed on NAS, USB disk and in a remote location. Ridiculously important data additionally on a USB stick kept in the bank.

In the case of backups, I take into account not only the fact of data loss but also falling into the wrong hands.

For this, everything and always must be encrypted, of course. Particularly important when someone stores data on the NAS. If the data is unencrypted, anyone who would gain access will also have access to a copy. And usually drive encryption, which protects us in the event of physical theft, will not do anything in the event of an online leak. The same goes for the cloud. But there is probably not a single person that would keep unencrypted backups online? :wink:

i dont keep backups online, encrypted or otherwise. once its on the internet its there forever.
(rant deleted)

1 Like