POE-powered small switch

Anyone know of a cheap 4-port (5 really) 1Gbs switch that can be powered over POE? Something like this $15 one, TL-SG105 | 5-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Desktop Switch | TP-Link, but with POE in as an alternative to the wall wart. Best I can find is the MicroTik MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: RB260GS, which is total overkill and costs nearly three times as much at current street prices. (I’m not poor, just cheeeeep.)

Home use, so unmanaged is fine. Just need more ports in a bedroom and already have a POE out switch in the “datacenter” (home office), so it would be nice to not have to bother with yet another thing to eat wall sockets at the destination.

TP Link TL-SG1008MP

Netgear JGS516PE

The SG105 you linked should do you just fine. I have one at home powering some Pi 4s without issue (bare-bones no USB devices connected).

Oh whoops, misread that.

They have a POE version of that 5 port that should work just fine. The TL-SG1005P.

No, I’m looking for PoE IN (aka “reverse PoE”) to power the remote switch. My primary Cisco switch provides 802.3af/at output and I want to use that to power the secondary switch. The MikroTik RB260GS is almost correct, but it uses passive PoE input to power up, so won’t cooperate with an 802.3 device for power. I suspect such a cheapo device simply doesn’t exist.

Look into the Ubiquiti UniFi USW Flex Mini

It’s a ~$30 usd 5 port gigabit managed switch that is powered via PoE, or USB C

1 Like

That or the Ubiquiti In-Wall HD https://inwall-hd.ui.com/ its poe powered, has a built-in AP and 4 gbe ports on the bottom. One of those 4 is also a POE passthrough for another poe device like a voip phone or something.

1 Like

Yup, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Well, that’s a very interesting little box. I’ll definitely keep it in mind if I need an AP somewhere else in the house.