Podcast & Disconnect

2 questions (mainly for Ryan):

1. is it possible in any way to release the L1 news in podcast form in the android Podcasts app so that i can easily listen to it in android auto? It’d save me the trouble of downloading each episode to the phone
  2. Listening to constant complains about slow and crashing webpages with many tabs open, try Disconnect chrome extension - it blocks trackers and like buttons… I’m using it for a few years now and it’s amazing

Keep up the great content

I don’t use the Android Podcast App, however Patrons get a Podcast feed automatically on Patreon.

There were various extensions suggested over the years, I can’t remember the reasoning why they went with theirs anymore.

Gross

I use Podcast Addict on Android and the RSS feed updates fine. The news podcast does exist for Patrons, but I think its only for the $19 tier, which I understand is a little spendy. I think that may because the news podcast is relatively new/experimental (they’ve only been doing that for a couple of months, originally the RSS feed was just for the monthly podcast that they do for $19 Patrons).

Sorry if it’s not the best answer to your question, and welcome to the forums!

Edit: For future readers, mihawk90 corrected me below. The news podcast is available to Patrons at the $1 tier.

No:

1 Like

I stand corrected! Thank you, I did not see that when I looked over the tiers.

if you get youtube-dl on linux the command
youtube-dl *url* -f m4a
will get you the video in audio form. it usually takes seconds, and will download it in the highest available quality by default. you can also make a playlist and rip the audio off a entire playlist or channel with a single command. not exactly what youre asking but it works for me fairly well.

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

1 Like

Note that’s what this site uses which is blocked or fails sometimes for mysterious reasons

Patrons of $1 up do have an rss feed with an auth token that should work with Android auto and damn near anything else

1 Like

That’s not quite correct. It will get you the highest quality AAC encode, but often times they ship a higher quality Opus encode. If you really want “best” formats, youtube-dl has -f best for best audio/video combined, -f bestvideo for the highest quality video option, and -f bestaudio for the highest quality audio option.

That being said, some phones just wont play Opus files, even though the Android documentation suggests that every Android 7 and up supports it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I’ve subbed to patreon (it was about time to do so), but the podcast feed isn’t really what i was looking for. I can’t see the level1news in there which is what i was after.

I’ll probably resort to youtube-dl (which can be probably fairly easily automated through ytapi) in combination with plex autoindexing, which works on android auto as well.

We upload the news as mp3 so it shows up on the patreon RSS feed. It’s all weeks news in one time-stamped show?

?

Uhh, what the hell? I could only see some kind of specials and highlight episodes in there, now i can see all news just fine.

Great, now how do i add the feed to the android auto? Or do i have to download the mp3s and play them that way?

Im not sure what podcasting app you use for Android Auto, but a quick Google search said that Player FM was available for the platform, which does support playlists via RSS (it’s a common feature, most podcasting apps support it). When you started your contribution to the Patreon you shouldve received an email to the effect of “A Gift for our Patrons”, which wouldve contained an RSS URL. Enter this URL in your app, and it should create an up to date playlist of the news podcasts.

If you didn’t, go to L1’s overview page (not Posts where it redirects to by default), it’s on the right there.

Thanks, will give it a try. I’m currently using google’s Podcasts app

Btw thank you for the love and support :heart:

2 Likes