Plug-and-play consumer router with mesh

Recommend me some consumer routers with mesh capability that are as plug and play as possible. Let’s say price is no object for now.

I’m thinking either Ubiquiti Amplifi or the Google Home router.

To be clear, this is not for me. I want to recommend something to someone with zero networking knowledge and have them be able to set it up entirely on their own without any intervention from me. Ideally without contacting me about it at all. I don’t care if it spies on them, I don’t care if it double NATs. If they can set it up and get to google.com without knowing what an IP address is, that’s all I want.

Honestly, Amplifi might be what you’re looking for. Setup is extremely simple. I’ve used it to hook up the GF’s house and they seem to like it.

She was still rocking a WRT54G. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Nice. I was leaning that way, but unsure since I’ve never used it.

Yeah, going on 6 months since the upgrade. It’s never needed a hard reset, to my knowledge (they’d have probably called me to complain if so) and the mesh seems to be working just fine.

1 Like

The Instant series looks good price-wise. Which one did you get?

I got her the alien, mostly because their house is built almost entirely of reinforced concrete and I wanted the strongest chance of getting through. That and they have 500mbps internet.

It’s the “just give me what’s best” attitude.

1 Like