Pls help, cannot run any Linux distro with kernel 4.17 and up?

Hello people :slight_smile:

I would appreciate if anyone can give me explanation for the following problem:

I have ThinkPad T440p with 4-th generation of Intel Core processor and Intel HD graphics. The chipset is QM87, BIOS version 2.55.

I was running Kali on it with no problems at all, until Kali 2018.3 release with kernel 4.17. When tried to install that one, it started crashing. 2018.2 with 4.15 kernel works just fine. I have tried different distros, including Kali 2020.3, Parrot OS 4.10, Ubuntu 20.4 LTS etc and it comes to this: I can use anything up to kernel 4.16, but 4.17 and up I just cant install or even if I manage to install It crashes during boot.

I am not using any VMs on this laptop, this all happens when I try to install it on the laptop itself, it even happens if I try to boot it from a live USB.

Interesting thing is that I have tried to install Kali 2020.3 on MacbookPro 2010 and it work without any problems - also tried to install it on HP ProBook with fifth generation i5 and it works with no problems.

If I install Kali 2018.2 and upgrade - it can work, but that is just not it, if I try to full upgrade, it crashes after full upgrade.

I also want to mention that I did disabled secure boot in BIOS.

Does anyone know why is this happening?

Thank you.

What about something like fedora with a more recent kernel?

1 Like

Tried newest Fedora workstation - cannot even boot it from a live USB to install. It crashes.

I have a Dell m3800 with similar hardware and it runs Fedora 33 just fine.

It is probably something in the firmware. Your BIOS may be putting the wrong memory ranges into ACPI tables or has some SMM code overwriting memory that the kernel thinks it owns, or anything like that.

Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS for it?

And, you don’t have it trying to run any kind of Intel ME management software, or one of those anti-theft tools, right? I’ve heard those can cause problems for Linux because it does not provide the hooks that Windows does, that the BIOS is trying to use.

1 Like

can you provide any images of error logs?
make sure the kernel isnt set to boot in quiet mode.

I think this might be the problem, will provide image of error logs.

Here it is :slight_smile:

The BIOS is the newest available. Perhaps, trying both EFI and Legacy boot might be a workaround?

I think this is relevant.

Probably need to update the firmware? If this is UEFI, maybe try booting in Legacy mode?

https://www.google.com/search?q=legacy+boot+vs+uefi&oq=legacy+boot+&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i457j0l6.7368j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hi, I did tried UEFI and Legacy, same resault, I think this problem started after some of the few BIOS updates. I suspect after 2.49 version… Did not linked the problem with that, but now I can see it is very possible. Unfortunately I cannot downgrade BIOS, since Lenovo disabled that possibility for “security reasons” as they said in their documentation.

Could you try CloudReady and let us know if it works? It’s a fork of Chromium OS built atop the Linux kernel and should run fine on your laptop. You might even like it if you don’t like Windows…
https://guide.neverware.com/supported-devices/#LenovoThinkpadT440p

I will try it, of course. Will let you know what happened. Cheers and thank you all for your help.

Try to add acpi=off to kernel cmd line?

1 Like

Some people blame the firmware bug, others that the kernel is also partly to blame … And at the end of the day nobody wants to fix anything “because it’s not our problem” :slight_smile:

Try booting with the “acpi=off” kernel parameter

This will disable ACPI support. If the error is the same with ACPI enabled and disabled, this may not be an ACPI issue. 

If “acpi=off” allows the system to boot, try to isolate the ACPI issue with the following boot parameters

Try booting with "acpi=ht"
    This disables all of ACPI except just enough to enable Hyper Threading. If acpi=off works and acpi=ht fails, then the issue is in the ACPI table parsing code itself, or perhaps the SMP code. 
Try booting with "pci=noacpi"
    This disables ACPI for IRQ routing and PCI scanning. 
Try booting with "acpi=noirq"
    This disables ACPI for IRQ routing. 
Try booting with "pnpacpi=off"
    This disables the ACPI component of the Linux Plug and Play code. 
Try booting with "noapic"
    Disables the IO-APIC for IRQ routing or PCI scanning. 
Try booting with "nolapic"
    Disables the local APIC. 

WORKAROUND
Edit /etc/default/grub and add in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line AFTER quiet word these:

vga=current loglevel=3 rd.systemd.show_status=auto rd.udev.log_priority=3

Next update grub : sudo update-grub.

Last thing is creating SYSCTL rule:

sudo bash -c “echo ‘kernel.printk = 3 3 3 3’ > /etc/sysctl.d/20-quiet-printk.conf’”

and reboot. This will just HIDE error msgs during boot, still exists in dmesg results.

UEFI/Legacy Boot - Both
CSM Support - Yes
Secure boot - Disabled

2 Likes

Thank You VERY much, I will try this and let you all know what happened. I really appreciate this, big thnx!

CloudReady does not work as well - it comes to the logo and than restarts. Will try to turn off ACPI now, hopefully some of the fixes provided in this thread will help. Thank You all.

You most definitely have a firmware issue and I feel like your only option could be Coreboot. Have a look here: https://doc.coreboot.org/mainboard/lenovo/t440p.html

2 Likes

I think you should clarify that this could brick the system.
Just to be sure its clear :wink:

Edit: Sorry, meant to say “I would” instead “you should”.

2 Likes

It obviously is dangerous.