Plex on proxmox or bare metal

So I just moved my plex over to a new machine. Installed proxmox on it and spun up a VM for plex. This new machine has a 11th gen core i7 so for transcoding I figured it would use quicksync. However, based on performance it is not at all. Attempted going through several guides to get it to pass through, but no luck. So I’m wondering if the best option is to just put it on bare metal or am I missing something in the hardware pass through that I can easily accomplish without redoing it.

1 Like

I have my iGPU passthrough to a LXC container. Honestly less of a headache than a VM because it shares it with the host instead of completely isolating it. I used this guide Plex HW acceleration in LXC container - anyone with success? - #8 by Johnnyh1975 - Desktops & Laptops - Plex Forum

3 Likes

looks solid, thanks man, I’ll give it a go

1 Like

so sadly after trying this it just breaks the LXC containers

1 Like

I might be able to help. I got mine to work and documented all the steps. If you need them I can post or send them.

On mobile now. What version of proxmox are you using? I figured out 7.1 and older 6 versions with an nvidia gpu.

Just lemme know I can help send info or write up a post tomorrow in the am for me.

Nm… I’ll also look into iGPU… though… I had to change one letter, well number in version 7

This was the post that helped me find the one problem I had with my system. Looks like the change from lxc.cgroup.devices to lxc.cgroup2.devices in the LXC’s config also affects iGPU pass through. Dunno if it helps but this page has more specifics on what the settings look like using a Intel iGPU.

2 Likes

Currently running 7.1-2 and I’d love to see what you wrote up and run a test. I might end up running it baremetal mostly because all my media is on my NAS so backups aren’t really a huge deal, if I lose the data on what I’ve already watched I’ll be fine. I have a laptop I’m running tests on so if your stuff works on a few tests I’ll feel good about trying it.

1 Like

True, proxmox is only useful if your using the machine for other services or VM’s. It’s fun to play with and rewarding to set up… but if you want plug and play that might be the best bet. I can still post what I have. Will get on it today and I’ll try to change the steps as needed for the iGPU pass through so you can give it a shot.

1 Like

Only if helpful, but I use no transcoding on a gpu and local play back is fine. Only becomes an issue on tiny screens. Give the install a go in vm may be and see how it goes?

Mine is on bare metal in jail on truenas core, E5-1650v4 CPU. transcoding if needed seems fine enough, though it does cane the CPU (80% usage).

1 Like

awesome, thanks man, and if nothing else it’ll be a good little learning exercise.

1 Like

yeah unfortunately my family does a lot of remote and i have to down transcode for bandwidth and 2 streams can kill a playback if they both spike at the same time.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a pain. I’ll step backwards out the room…slowly though, to avoid buffering.

2 Likes

I did this quite a while ago so there might something particular I did, I do remember it didn’t quite work right away but this is my current working config.

root@pve01:~# cat /etc/pve/lxc/101.conf 
arch: amd64
cores: 4
features: mknod=1
hostname: Plex
memory: 4096
mp0: /mnt/pve/typhoon-media,mp=/media
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,gw=10.20.1.1,hwaddr=36:AB:D4:5C:F7:C0,ip=10.20.1.71/16,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-zfs:subvol-101-disk-0,size=50G
swap: 1024
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 226:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 226:128 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 29:0 rwm
lxc.autodev: 1
lxc.hook.autodev: /var/lib/lxc/101/mount_hook.sh
root@pve01:~# cat /var/lib/lxc/101/mount_hook.sh 
mkdir -p ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}/dev/dri
mknod -m 666 ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}/dev/dri/card0 c 226 0
mknod -m 666 ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}/dev/dri/renderD128 c 226 128
mknod -m 666 ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}/dev/fb0 c 29 0

Enabling that mknod feature is pretty important which isn’t in that guide I posted.

Also something to note is that your exact /dev/ device might be different, make sure it is in fact card0 or whatever else.

1 Like

I’m so sorry, I got sidetracked with more troubles with the home sale. So putting out “fires” of missing paperwork etc.

The more I looked into it I realized the changes between iGPU pass thru and GPU pass thru aren’t all that different. Once it’s passed thru I think you will need to use another PC and log into Proxmox CLI or GUI to make changes.

I did find this and I hope it helps…

Theres a lot more in there than is needed (IE- Keyboard, mouse etc)