Plex DVR & Live TV

anyone have any experience with this ?
i upgraded my plex and it disabled my live tv channel i had (hdhr viewer) , wondering if this is worth the time as it still claims "beta" software.
i do not wish to beta test software, let alone pay to beta test software.
if its reasonably stable then i might go for it.

2 Likes

I'm not exactly sure how plex works - aside from the fact that it's a media player - but LibreELEC works fine for me. Is there anything plex is able to do, that LibreELEC is unable to?

plex is able to record live tv without backend recording software (such as mythtv) . as far as i can tell opelec (info is sparse on live tv features) cannot do recording on its own without some backend server somewhere. i have mythtv already but would like to stream live tv to the roku or a tablet or whatever without much issues, as well as schedule a recording of the program .

mythtv does not work with the roku at all.
i would drop mythtv for plex or something else if that will do the pvr work as well as stream live tv.
i have a plex server to stream recorded content to whatever currently.

1 Like

That is correct. Kodi (the media center used by OpenELEC) requires something like MythTV or tvheadend to run in the background and do all the heavy lifting.

Kodi's live-TV support is also fairly new and thus not particularly user-friendly. I'm using a somewhat outdated Kodi however, so it may have improved in the meantime. There's also a lot of random hangs & crashes, though this might just be my hardware.

well i paid for one month. here is what i found running plex on a linux host:

no ability to watch live tv
has a program guide, oddly listings are not by channel but by "now showing" and by show title
records dandy, once you find the show
android app wont play live tv
android app unable to sign out (could not find a way to do so). i had to remove then reinstall the app to sign out.

in other words there are free programs to do this better and some will even remove commercials.the reason i wanted live tv was to stream it to the roku and other mobile devices.

clicking on an item above brings you to the following screen where you can only record

clicking on discover lets you select "watch now" but that just takes you to a screen with the 1st row (now playing) in the 1st pic. and selecting a show will only let you record.

I would hold off on the Plex pass unless you get the lifetime. Monthly is too high.

If I had an HDhome run I would give it a try.

Plex DVR is a slightly older feature then their Live TV, and more fleshed out.

Live TV is only about a month old. Currently, they have live TV viewing for ONLY Android TV and iOS, and time shift for live TV just rolled out for iOS.

I'm a long time Plex user myself for my media library, and the devs communicate very well with the community.

In the same boat as you though, wanting to watch live on my Rokus...Not useable at the moment.

1 Like

I don't experience a lot of crashes, sure they happen about once a month, but we (wife and I) are using our RPi3 with LibreELEC for about 3-4h a day.

The time between crashes varies a lot, but on average I'd say it's roughly one crash per hour. Again, the problems are quite possibly just down to my hardware.

I'll install a newer version of OpenELEC in the next few days and see what happens.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.

It is because of lack of power and features I switched from a Roku to a Shield TV.

ive canceled my plex pass. i can do what it does (record live tv) with curl.
/*edit*/ i have 2 hdhomeruns , a prime and a regular one.