Plex announces removal of opting out telemetry

So Plex has announced it will be no longer an option to opt-out the gathering and sending of telemetry data as from the 20th of september.

I was considering becoming a lifetime plex pass member, but happy I didn’t pull the trigger yet. Emby here I come :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was never really fond of Plex… tried it once, uninstalled it, never looked back.

Shame there’s no real open server like this, even emby has payed parts… and Kodi just isn’t there yet with transcoding :frowning:

Although I am not fond of the business model plex has, the ease of installation and usage is what kept me around. It just works.

I have done some googling and I am somewhat hopefull emby will give me a similar user friendly experience. I dont mind paying for a good piece of software, as long as the currency isn’t my personal data.

1 Like

This is pretty depressing. Became a Lifetime Plex plass member in 2010 or 11. Wrote some code for a bug fix in the front end.

It’s kinda crap but if they can be trusted might not be horrible

Tbh I think thats the biggest issue with this change in policy. What if I got a lifetime plex pass a moth ago and I disagree with the annouced changes? Good luck getting your money back.

At the time of payment you expect the product/service to be the same for the entirety of the “contract”. Thats what you are paying for after all.

I am sure they have got their asses covered in the terms of service, but it would be gracefull of plex to make this at least still opt-out for the lifetime plex pass holders.

To be honest this was foreseeable when they started the whole registration thing. Why do I even need an account in the first place.

Also as far as I know Plex is still usable without registration, but is my usage still beeing monitored without registration? Pretty sure it is, but who knows.

That’s the problem with all privacy policies, it’s hard to know if they actually abide by it.

The registration was to make DNS easier for the lay man. Log in and remotely stream but this is taking a turn I am not thrilled about.

Glad I only spent $60 on the lifetime pass. Feel bad for those who spent more.

I’ve had their PlexPass subscription ($40/yr) for the past four years just to support Plex, but now I kinda feel like I’m paying for them to “spy on me” and will be cancelling my subscription and looking to switch to something else myself.

Until something else comes along that I can easily setup for my friends/family at their places (over the phone help, works with their Roku, their young kids can use it, etc.) I’ll still be recommending them to use Plex.

If they are just totally honnest and open about what kind of telemetry they are gathering.
Then it doesnt have to be a bad thing persee.
If they only gather bug and error information to diagnose and improve their products,
then its not a bad thing atall.

But if they gather information on you, to use it for commercial use,
like sell that for profit, then yes its bad.

1 Like

Plex just made changes to their Privacy Policy in response to community feedback.

4 Likes

What a pleasant surprise, this really is a praiseworthy development and makes me reconsider switching from plex.

Good that they listened. If they didn’t, it would have cratered their user base.

not sure if praiseworthy or just afraid of people jumping ship ¯\_(ツ)_/¯