Please help me to decrease my dvd burn time. ( For a Non Profit Church Media Team

I am the leader of my church media team and we are trying to put together dvds to give out to the community. The dvds range from our religous services to health and wellness, breast cancer awareness, Gun violence dvds and so on. To fund this these community projects we plan on selling only the church services after the service is over. The problem is burn time. We only have roughly 1hr to burn a master DVD and even with all the menus ready it takes 4-8 hrs to burn a master dvd. Is there anyway to cut down the burn time? i understand that part of the problem could be the transcoding. Is there anyway to cut this time down? I would like to cut the burn time down to at least 1 hr for around 3 gigs. The system specs i have are I7 3730 ( locked), 2 tb hard drive at 7200 ( We are planning on getting a SSD I soon as i can spare enough money i plan on donating a brand new one myself). 16 gigs of ddr3 ram. The graphics card came with the pc so im not sure of the specs even though i shoud probaly know them. If the graphics card spec are necessary then i can provide them. Also do you know of any dvds being able to be burned in under 1 hr with no transcoding? We already have a duplicater that can do 10 dvds per 15 mins. The only software i have access to is windows movie maker and sony dvd maker although i have been considering adobe encore. Wendell, Logan Pls help!!!!!!!!

Shouldn't this be under a different topic?

To cut down the burn time, the easiest thing to do is get a faster DVD drive.  I personally have a drive with DVDs that can burn up to 32x and it can burn CDs as fast as it feels like going.

You can calculate whether or not there is something wrong.

Any DVD writer is rated at a certain speed indicated as "n X", whereby "n" is mostly 4 or 8 on consumer drives, and X is 1.35 MB/s. A full single layer DVD is 4.3 GB, which means that a 1X drive would write an entire DVD in about 53 minutes, which is less than one hour. Usually consumer grade DVD drives are 8X drives, which means that the writing of the entire DVD should take just under 7 minutes.

The fastest and most reliable way to make a DVD is using separate authoring software. I have no idea how that would work in Windows, but in Linux, with all free and open source software, it's really easy. You just edit the video in the video editor of your choice, which after rendering leaves you with a video file in the video format of your choice, and then use an authoring software of choice to make a DVD .iso from that video file and have the menu added and that kind of thing, and then you just "dd" that .iso to the blank DVD disks of your choice. You could also use any optical disk burning software of your choice. It's crazy fast. With a bog standard consumer grade 8X DVD drive, in one hour, you should be able to burn about 10 DVD's per computer if those are 4 hour video DVD's. If there's only 1 hour of video on the DVD's, that's 40 DVD's since the writing time would be divided by four. On laptops or external DVD drives that are only buspowered, the writing speed is often limited to 4X, which means just over 13 minutes for a full DVD, or under 4 minutes for a one hour video recording on DVD, which would still enable you to hourly burn about 15 DVD's with 1 GB (=one hour) of full res video.

If you need more capacity, you can add USB DVD drives, whereby externally powered ones are generally about twice as fast as buspowered ones. You can easily write to all DVD drives simultaneously with one single command.

The thing that will take the most time in my opinion, is the video rendering, not the DVD burning. You didn't specify what video format and res you were using, but - depending on the format - 3 GB of video data may take quite some time to render, especially in Windows if you want good quality. Depending on the graphics card, you can speed up the process quite a bit using linux and free and open source software, but if you want results really fast, the best thing to do is to use a render farm. These are mostly very small private businesses that have a linux cluster to render video really fast. The way that works is that you upload your raw data to them, and they send you back the rendered data very quickly. These are the people that render video footage that is needed as fast as possible, for instance for news shows on TV, etc... Their services are not very expensive, and on a Sunday, it should be possible to find someone that owns a render farm to donate a couple of minutes of cluster processing to the church to sort the rendering problem out, and someone near the church is bound to have a really fast commercial internet connection.

Maybe there is a videographer or someone that works at a TV network in the community that knows someone with a render farm, or maybe there is a business that has a really fast computer system nearby, like someone that does research in molecular biology, material physics, hydrodynamics, etc..., or someone that does a lot of 3D CAD work with path tracing. These people use fast linux machines with a bunch of AMD graphics cards for maximum computational power, that can also be used to render video really quickly. One of them is bound to be willing to donate a couple of minutes of system time for a church project.

1 Like

thanks so much for the info, it was the render time and i did some upgrades to deal with that.

Dip into that tax free money and get yourself some new hardware.

1 Like