Please do a review of Supermicro IPMI

I am looking at building a new Proxmox server for running VMs and LXCs. I am looking at the Supermicro MBDH11SSL-I. My top priorities are lots of RAM, IPMI and AMD. I have only used Dell Drac and HP iLO.

I would really like to see a review of the features in the Supermicro IPMI.

@wendell ping

Tho, from what I understand Supermicro is using the same IPMI Implementation as Asrock is on their Asrock Rack boards, so you can take a look at those as well.

1 Like

Depends on the generation but this is correct. Aspeed is similar everywhere

It includes an html portal, power control, java ikvm, a serial console, remote iso mounting and some hardware monitoring. Newer hardware includes bios updating and html5 ikvm (instead of just java).

The Linux version of IPMIView works on Macs.

Is there also HTML5 KVM like on current ASRock Rack boards so you don’t have to use Java on the client?

Not sure about asrock. I believe html5 started with X10 supermicro boards, but my sample size is limited.

It’s definitely nice to have though. If you do have to use java, either get ipmiview or use javaws to open an individual session.

I recommend keeping the ipmi interfaces on a dedicated vlan with no internet access whatsoever.

Yes there is. Have the H11SSL-NC. It is NOT the same as the Asrock IPMI (have 2 of those) in that Supermicro makes you but a license to do BIOS updates (because supermicro) and that is free on Asrock Rack boards.

Also be aware the HBA on the board like I have is not supported outside of IR mode, and supermicro support won’t help you with anything. So if you need the HBA to be in IT mode, you will have to flash it on your own. I pulled it off so can’t be that difficult.

1 Like

If you like living dangerously, you can update the bios in freedos via ipmi virtual disc.

living dangerously is a feature in both of these: it helps you remember your password by limiting the number of characters you can use! KeePass was not amused at the limits imposed. also have to remember to kill the failover, “featurre” or the asrock version will just hijack another available nic and change its IP address. Its like they want bad things to happen.

Even though all the vendors use basically the same BMCs, Supermicro was up there for me.
Asrock did change their FW recently on all newer boards, newer then my EPC612D8A at least.

The only thing that supermicro locks behind a license is the biosupdate from the ipmi. I think that is called “out of Band update” short oob and requires a oob license key that costs about 20$. The Key is dependent on the BMC Nics Mac address and can easily be forged yourself if you don’t mind.

The html5 ikvm that is included since the X10 generation and the first Aspeed BMCs, does not have the option to add remote usb sticks and iso, you have to do that in a different place in a different way, or you use the older java-ikvm.

Two major features that the supermicro ipmi has over many others is Postcode snooping, so you can see where it is stuck if you don’t get a picture. Though Epyc is a weird platform and someone changed around all the postcodes, so nothing makes sense there.
And the second one is the option to reset / restart the bmc.
You should never need it, but i need it on the Asrack epc since that is a bit buggy sometimes.

That is all i remember. Any specific questions?
Had SM x9, x10 and H11 boards around, as well as the mentioned older Asrack, some Asus Z10 and a hirrible lenovo / ibm thing.

2 Likes

With the HP iLO administrators can SSH in and perform most tasks from the CLI, this is great for scripting administration. Does the Supermicro have that?
Also HP iLO has a big problem with browser compatibility requiring that an old version of Windows and IE for working on older systems. This is because of depreciation of insecure ciphers. We kept VMs around for this, but SSH is very handy in these cases.

The supermicro ipmi does not have an SSH access AS far AS i think and remember.
Or maybe it is default off or so.

You can still do Automation and stuff through the ipmi 2.0 interface and or the REDFISH “REST” interface.

Ipmitool would be the go to for example for the ipmi2.0 impl as far AS i understand.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.