Im abit new on linux…
Iv install ubuntu 18.??
And am trying to setup a game for a friend that he likes,
(we killed Windows)
Iv looked up info on Dungeon and dragons online,
And its supposed to work and soforth.

1. had to find GCC
  2. had to load C+(?)
  3. had to compile these and other parts…
    4.Picked up Playonlinux, which installs wine, and all the versions…
    5.Followed the few instructions…
    6, Loaded up the installer, ran for about 2 minutes, and Stopped…

The program runs the installer, and when you try to signin, Quits running…and sometimes freezes…
Im doing more searching, but this is more complicated then has been suggested, and it would be nice if all the instructions were complete…

I’ll be back soon…

Also for anyone that noticed…Win10 seems to be trying something, and i will bet, they will do a MAC trick of jumping to Linux, grabbing what they need, then going proprietary…(they have used Allot of Linux already, and made things complicated)…
Im about to quit MS, and jump to Linux if I can get the games I want to run…But I cant tell if my setup is going to help at all…

Tell me what to write for info and I will send it…

Kind of off topic but Mac did not jump to Linux, it jumped to BSD. The bsd license which bsd is licensed with(big shocker there), allows you to make a totally proprietary os based on bsd, which is what MacOS is right now.

The gpl which Linux(and gnu and some other software) is licensed with does not allow you to do that. MS cannot make a totally proprietary os with Linux code due to the gpl. The windows subsystem for Linux is open source as it should be, and will continue to stay open source due to the gpl.

1 Like

Try another settings and diffrent wine version from playonlinux and try another settings for graphics in playonlinux settings.
Launch game in debug mode on playonlinux (left debug) launch game whit that and see what it says?

Dungeons & Dragons Online is steam game?
Did you try steam proton directly on steam. Go to settings and account enable steam beta version. Restart steam then go setting steam play and enable steam play for all other titles restart. install game and go from there. Game setting you can change proton version also try them thru. Maybe this will help.

Not even.

The mac runs the Mach microkernel and most of the core OS is actually proprietary-open-source (Darwin). Some of the user-space command line tools are FreeBSD (but there is a huge amount of mac-specific tools as well), little else is.

Thanks guys…
Been looking around WineHQ and the other sections of this program and Wine seems to have it solid, Why do I need PlayonLinux?? I will look up all the info…and try again…

You don’t need PlayOnLinux, but it does automate a lot of the WINE configuration for you, whereas standalone WINE can sometimes be tedious to configure.

BTW - Steam Proton also uses WINE and other projects, so if Proton will run D&D, that’s probably the path of least resistance.
https://www.protondb.com/app/206480

Even if you didn’t purchase D&D through Steam, you may be able to activate it on Steam.