Plant Based Food Favorites

So been thinking about trying to max the amount of meat dishes I eat a week down from every day, to like 1-2 max per week. (excluding fish)

I know we have a few vegetarians/vegans or w/e on here and was wondering if you guys could suggest some of your favorite dishes.

So if you could link some of your favorite recipes or products you use that would be cool.

@Steinwerks

1 Like

Are you looking for meat substitutes? Whatā€™s the overall reasoning? Lower fat, lower cholesterol intake, etc?

Iā€™d be glad to share what I eat on a regular basis if that helps.

Just to change it up and see what less meat is like. I mean there are health benefits, but Im not really that out of shape or fat so its not a major concern.

I had beets with dinner, they were pretty good for a first try.

Beets, salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil wrapped in foil and thrown on the grill. I did about 10 minutes on indirect heat and it definitely wasnā€™t enough. Next time more heat and/or longer.

I did saute the scraps when I was done making spirals with the above ingredients in a pan on the stove, that was very nice too.

Aside from that, Iā€™ve got a bunch of recipes stashed away somewhere, many of which are vegantarian I believe.

1 Like

Well Iā€™m probably a little weird. I actually aim for a high protein and low-ish carb diet as a vegetarian because I just generally feel better that way, but in doing so I usually have six meals a day with the larger ones around 4-500 calories and snacks between 3-400 calories.

Oftentimes for breakfast Iā€™ll have scrambled eggs on a bed of greens with diced tomato, feta cheese, hot sauce and plain greek yogurt or a couple fried eggs with Morningstar breakfast sausages. This morning I had frozen blueberries with muesli and greek yogurt (and coffee).

Mid-morning snack is generally a smoothie with pea milk (high protein non-dairy - I just donā€™t really like milk), topped off with cashew milk, usually a banana and either peanut butter powder or frozen strawberries and a serving of Vega Protein powder. Sometimes Iā€™ll use crunchy peanut butter (itā€™s awesome). I should make more green smoothies but I just canā€™t make myself for some reason.

Lunch is sort of whatever, but this week I made Banza chickpea pasta salad with chopped cucumbers, sliced olives, red onion, diced tomato, feta cheese and Annieā€™s Chile Lime vinaigrette and some spices. I like easy things like this, or chili, whatever I can make a large quantity of and divide into portions for the week. Makes things easy.

Early afternoon snack is almost always 40g of dry roasted almonds and a mozzarella cheese stick.

Late afternoon snack is often a yogurt (Icelandic Provisions or Siggiā€™s - both a scandinavian style called skyr which is low sugar and high protein) and granola of some sort.

Dinners are whatever, from simple things like steamed broccoli with mock chicken (Beyond Meat makes some amazing fakes) and shredded cheese to mock burgers like I had tonight:

Didnā€™t have any buns so I used Daveā€™s Killer Bread, German mustard, kale, tomato, hot pickle slices (all from the garden) and topped with smoked gouda cheese. The patty is the Beyond Meat Ultimate Beefless Burger.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been vegetarian for about 10 years, vegan for the last 3 or so.

If you are looking to improve your health, Iā€™d suggest staying well away from the ā€˜meat alternativesā€™, that super processed crap is terrible, you are better off eating the meat.

I just keep it simple, everything except rice/pasta & olive oil is from my own garden, so changes with the seasons. I usually cook up a big batch each weekend for the following week.

Today iā€™m making a stir fry I guess you could call it.

Spring onions, garlic, fennel & chilli browned in olive oil.

Add a couple of carrots, potato, beets, radish & sweet potato cut in to small chunks. Let that cook on a low temp while you cut up the rest of the stuff.

Throw it a heap of chopped spinach, chard, anything green & leafy really.

I use all the leaves from the turnips, beets, carrots & fennel as well, but probably wouldnā€™t suggest doing this using store bought vegetables because of the crap they get sprayed with.

Give it a stir & leave it on a low heat while you cook some rice. By the time the rice is done, it should be ready to serve up.

When I first went vegetarian, i was hungry ALL the time, eating pretty much constantly to try & have enough energy. The body adjusts though. I now just eat a big lunch & small snack after work & iā€™m good to go. No breakfast or dinner.

Every body is different though, just pay attention to what yours tells you when you eat different things :slight_smile:

I mean, generally high in sodium. :man_shrugging:

How do you feel about cheese and eggs and milk and stuff like that?

Fine again just trying to eat less meat

If you like omelets - try Frittataā€¦ Itā€™s similar thing, just baked in an oven and not pan fried.

You can always do vegetable musaka. Just layer different veggies - potatoes, zucchini, eggplantā€¦ On the top - yogurt, eggs and a bit of flour for thickeningā€¦ You can add lentils, beans, tomato sauce, peasā€¦ Add rice if you wish. Itā€™s open to interpretation.

Try making some seitan. Itā€™s basically just boiled wheat gluten and you can flavor it however you want. Tons of recipes out there.

Yeah plan on looking a bunch more this weekend assuming I have time

Personally Iā€™m currently Vegan, my favourite ingredient to use in a variety of dishes is mushrooms, Can do almost anything with them.

Since me and my partner are mixed ethnic of Mediterranean, English, Australian Aboriginal and Indian. We look for a lot of traditional recipes that are vegetarian/vegan. Thai curry is also a favourite of ours, I make our paste and just chuck in seasonal and oritental veggies usually in a slow cooker (crockpot)

2 Likes

I had curry once in my entire life.

It was so delicious.

Wait. No. It might have been something elseā€¦

It was a rice dish and it began with an R. Gordon Ramsey uses it a lot on his show Hells Kitchenā€¦

I remember now. It was Risoto. It was AMAZING.

One of my go toā€™s is vegetarian chili. Iā€™m going off memory with this but should be close.

Slightly over-cooked brown rice ~ 2 cups
large can of kidney beans
small can of pork and beans
a gloop of olive oil
3 stalks celery chopped small
1 onion chopped
2 sweet peppers chopped
[large can of cubed stewed tomatoes
small can of tomato paste]
or
[large can of ground tomatoes]
Worcestershire sauce
hot sauce
chilli powder 2 tablespoons
ground cumin 1 tablespoon
Smoked paprika 1 tsp
or
liquid smokeā€¦a little is enough ā€¦ like 3 drops.
a pinch of cinnamon

Saute the raw vegetables in a large pot in the olive oil
add the spices and sauces
after 5 minutes add the rest of the ingredients
simmer at least 20 minutes to blend flavorsā€¦an afternoon is better

I just made the following today for desert. Very good and not too much processed sugar.

How To Make a Fruit Cobbler by Heart
Serves 6
What You Need

Ingredients
For the fruit ļ¬lling:
4 to 7cups
sliced fruit
1/2 to 1cup
granulated sugar or packed brown sugar (optional)
1tablespoon
freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
2tablespoons
cornstarch (optional)
1 to 2teaspoons
ground spice, such as cinnamon (optional)

For the cobbler topping:
1 1/2cups
all-purpose ļ¬‚our
3tablespoons
granulated sugar
1 1/2teaspoons
baking powder
3/4teaspoon
kosher salt
1 1/2cups
heavy cream
For topping: (optional)
1tablespoon
heavy cream
1teaspoon
demerara sugar
How To Make a Fruit Cobbler by Hearthttps://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-foolproof-cobbler-withā€¦
1 of 32018-08-12, 4:39 p.m.

Equipment
8x8-inch baking pan, 9x9-inch baking pan, or 9-inch pie plate
Mixing bowls
Measuring spoons and cups
Baking sheet or aluminum foil, to catch drips
Instructions
Heat the oven to 375Ā°F.
Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 375Ā°F. Coat a 8 or 9-inch square
baking dish, or 9-inch pie plate, with bu
er; set aside.
Prepare the fruit.
Prepare the fruit as necessary ā€” wash, peel, stem, seed, slice, and so on. Give it a taste and
mix in some sugar or lemon juice as needed. If your fruit is juicy or youŹ¹d like a more ļ¬rmly set cobbler, mix in
some cornstarch. Mix in spice, if desired.
Transfer the fruit to the baking dish.
Transfer the fruit mixture to the baking dish ā€”it should ļ¬ll the dish
halfway to three-quarters full, leaving a good inch or so of extra space for the cobbler topping.
Mix the dry ingredients for the cobbler topping.
Mix the ļ¬‚our, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a
large bowl.
Add the cream to the dry ingredients.
Pour in the 1 1/2 cups cream. Stir until just combined; the dough will be
quite wet.
Scoop the cobbler mixture onto the fruit mixture.
Using either a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop
2-tablespoon portions of the cobbler dough onto the fruit.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
Brush the cobbler dough with the 1 tablespoon cream and sprinkle with the
demerara sugar. Place the cobbler on a rimmed baking sheet to catch drips, or place aluminum foil beneath it in
the oven. Bake until the topping is turning golden brown around the edges and the fruit ļ¬lling is bubbling, 45 to
55 minutes.
How To Make a Fruit Cobbler by Hearthttps://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-foolproof-cobbler-withā€¦
2 of 32018-08-12, 4:39 p.m.

Cool the cobbler and serve.
Let the cobbler cool for at least a few minutes so it doesnŹ¹t burn your mouth! The
cobbler can also be served room temperature or the next day.
Recipe Notes
Storage:
Leftover cobbler can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
3 of 32018-08-12, 4:39 p.m.

2 Likes

Ohh, and curryā€¦mmmmm.
I was raised for several years in Ghana, Africa. 3 to 5 years old. One of the dishes is curried meat with rice and chopped veggies and fruits. It would be like a pot-luck or a community feast. A big pot of rice, a big pot of curried meat and lots of different condiments. Take a plate and get a large scoop of rice, ladle the curried meat and gravy on top, then start adding condiments.

It would be fairly simple to make a meatless curry, I would try with mushrooms.

Saute mushrooms in butter and Worcestershire sauce
Saute onions in butter
add flour to make a rue
add vegetable stock
Add a can of cocnout milk
add madras curry [ i use a mild to medium hot curry ]
simmer while cooking the rice

The condiments I use are the following, all chopped into 1/4" - 3/8" size;

fruits - what ever you have on hand; banana, apple, pineapple, kiwi, grapes, mango ā€¦
coconut
peanuts or other nuts
chopped tomatoes
chopped onions
chopped celery
chopped sweet peppers

2 Likes

I feel like that would kill me right now.

Regardless if you eat meat or donā€™t I think this is a good suggestion, most of the time processed food has something it you donā€™t want, need, or something that is disagreeable with your body.

Iā€™ve found a getting a rice cooker recently has made it very easy to make up a batch of food from scratch for dinner, lunch and anything in between. And you know exactly whatā€™s in it when you make it yourself.

1 Like

Thereā€™s more to processing than ā€œgarbageā€ even though that tends to be a hallmark of cheap garbage.

I drink tons of water though and donā€™t have blood pressure issues so as with many things itā€™s going to depend on oneā€™s dietary concerns.

Not going to agree that Tofurky, Beyond Meat or Field Roast are crap just because they donā€™t meet some arbitrary standard for processing. Make an argument. Sodium content is a good one for some people for example.

Moroccan couscous

Wraps with your veggies of choice and a meat replacement if you feel you need it.

Omelette with whatever you like in it
Mine is pretty simple

• Bell pepper
  • Onion
  • Cheese
  • Salt & Pepper whisked into the eggs

Sandwiches

CrĆØme Fraiche pasta

Homemade pizza

1 Like