Plant 20 Million Trees by 2020

Some YouTube channels have got together for a fundraiser to plant 20 million trees by 2020, I think that’s worth sharing.

:evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree:
:evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree:

8 Likes

linus also made a top gear style video with a potato gun.

2 Likes
2 Likes

This seems fairly cool, but I hesitate to donate when the landing page is a big donate form. I’d rather spend a weekend planting trees myself.

That said, I’m gonna wait for fire season to be over (around nov 20) before I start putting more kindling out there.

4 Likes

pic-selected-191025-1643-50

Okay guys, what the fuck is #1 on trending? Who could beat this shit out?

Yep, the planet’s doomed.

I’m gonna be real with you tho, kanye’s new album is LIT

1 Like

I’ve been hearing about these “we’ll plant a tree for each dollar donated” among other methods of donation yet I see less and less trees everyday. Where are they being planted? Are they taking the need for biodiversity in to account? Are they restoring habitat that was destroyed, or are they just planting trees somewhere else?

2 Likes

not someone I expected to get onboard:

If you read the FAQ all donations go directly to the Arbor Day Foundation and trees will be planted in “forests of high need” on all continents other than Antarctica, because penguins are dicks. Seems completely legit to me.

Planting trees isn’t the most effective way to combat climate change, reducing the reliance on fossil fuels is, so your money would be better spent in donating to foundations funding R&D on alternative energy sources. But counting trees planted is a very easy way to mark progress and it does help.

1 Like

All very good questions, because in the USA, trees are a managed crop, and last I checked the acreage was slowing increasing.

This is one of those “feel good” things people can burn money on without walking through the actual effects.

3 Likes

Might the money be better off in Brazil stopping de-forestation of existing trees, (if there is any left unburnt :frowning: )

I dunno about the US, but I know the Germans are trying to breed a master race of conifers.

That’s probably difficult to do.

Honestly, I think reseeding areas that are sparse of trees is a good strategy if we need more trees.

2 Likes

Platitudes. Until China cuts their emissions by 80% to get in line with the western world, 100 billion trees will do nothing.

If climate change is really something we can affect, China should be the prime target.

2 Likes

China actually is cutting emissions extremely quickly. The party is severely embarrassed by their poor air quality.

1 Like

Yeah, I can only imagine. Babies dying because of that shit is a big deal.

Glad to hear they’re making an effort though.

Next up, India.

2 Likes

Yes, India is doing really poorly. They don’t generate a lot of CO2 per capita because so many of them live in abject poverty, but there are a lot of Indians so the country’s overall carbon load is high. They set very ambitious targets to fix that, but it remains to be seen if they meet them.

Hopefully. The funny thing is that the people who are screaming the loudest over this climate shit are the ones who have already done all they need to.

1 Like

The beauty is solar power is improving at the speed of technology, so it will very shortly be cheaper than burning dead dinosaurs, which hasn’t improved much in the past 50 years. So even poverty-striken areas will use it.

1 Like