Planning to Make A "Jack of all Threads" Threadripper Virtual Machine, Any Suggestions?

Yes they appear to both be NVMe, but may I ask why you opt for 2 different parts? Why not use 2 of the same? Also personally never heard of “MyDigitalSSD” (also what the hell would an analog SSD be?).

Could still get 2 960 EVO 250GB for basically the same price, known reliability and almost double the performance… If I’d be spending 4,5k on a PC I’d get the top end stuff if it’s almost the same price. But it’s your PC :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Replaced MyDigitalSSD with a Samsung SSD!

Hey! This is why I posted a build review on level1tech. To get advice from smart people like you.

My idea was to pass through these M.2 drives to a VM (need to add that detail to my notes later). I heard it gets more complicated when you try to pass through two devices that have the same identification.

It’s the same reason why I wouldn’t buy two rx580s for passthrough, even though I would have preferred to do that.

Total $4518.23

For this sort of money I would be building myself a decent gaming desktop with Windows 10 and probably a bunch of disks to create an SMB 3.0 shared storage space on. Then I’d buy a macbook for whatever it is people think they need OSX for, and then a well spec’ed Linux laptop as my main daily machine. I’d make sure I spec a decent monitor than can have multiple inputs and I’d probably purchase a small 1Gbs Ethernet swicth so I cen network them up. Remote desktop software works amazingly well on a 1Gb network…

Then when I realise that OSX is a waste of time I get 80% of the cash back on that macbook to some other fool who is easily parted with thier money :smiley:

Yeah, this build isn’t meant for everyone. For me personally, I like to have everything in one machine. I don’t want to deal with having three separate machines.

If it wasn’t for school in general, I wouldn’t even need a laptop. If I am not using my MacBook or Linux Laptop, I would probably have it stored somewhere in my house, just collecting space.

At least with my vfio machine, if I am not going to use the VM for while, I can make use of the cores and ram that would normally be reserved for the VM.

To develop software for people who happen to use a platform that I wouldn’t personally use on a normal basis… But I will admit, I do have a bit of nostalgia for OSX (especially the iMac G4, man those machines are beautiful).

2 Likes