Planning on upgrading to AM5 should I wait?

I would wait for a refresh. Some new developments have come to light about the cooling

I am hoping for good Black Friday deals on AM4 stuff. and building a new system with high-end AM4 parts.
Depending on the price I will go for an Ryzen 9 5900x, and a x570S chipset motherboard.
I can re-use most from my old PC (PSU, Graphic card, and NVME’s).

A high-end AM4 systems can easily hold me over for the next 3 years at least in my opinion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you can wait until January, I’d advise doing so. Right now, you’d be paying the “new and shiny” tax. DDR5 memory is expensive. The current boards are the high end gamer boards. The current target is those willing to open their wallets wide for the latest and greatest.

By January, the B650 boards will be out in volume. Most BIOSes will have been patched to good stability, and the Christmas rush will be over. Prices should come down significantly.

Also, keep an eye out for holiday sales on AM4. I recently built a 5700X system, and I’m really happy with it. There’s plenty of life left in the 5000 series, and your can build quite the system for US$3K. (5950 with dual RX 6800s, anyone?)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.