Planned New Linux box

Fedora is actually a consideration for best gaming experience on Linux along with POP!_OS . . . Primarily because the WINE staging build is maintained by Red Hat employee along with MESA ACO patches.

Ok version 4 of my build has hit me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FVtRZf

On the plus side I did finally find a build guide that is a working VFIO setup using a Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO that should work. Even if I have to drop in a LTS Kernel for now to cover the ACS bug, I have seen patches that should take care of any AGEAS issue I see over at /r/VFIO.

For now I will just use one NVME for the Host OS the other as an LVM for the guest systems. I will also toss an existing EGVA GTX 750 Ti 2gb Card I have now.

Unless I hear a compelling reason otherwise it’s the solution I think I will go with.

1 Like

Sounds like a solid plan, if the price and parts work out for you go for it! :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to post those sexy pics once you are done!

Just a little update. I did build the new box and it’s a rather nice glorious R9 3900x with 64gb of ram and while the Gfx card is only a GTX 1660 Super for now (I want to see what the upcoming AMD offering is before deciding on more of an upgrade). It was an interesting experience getting my hands into some real hardware again.

I will say that the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler could have been chosen better by me. I ended up grabbing a Gigabyte Aoras Master x570 board and that particular cooler is ok as long as you are ok only using 2 ram slots. I should have gone with their slightly smaller version and that is on me for not checking. I would also recommend swapping out your stock cooler brackets before you mount the board as doing that in the case was something of a challenge.

Speaking of which I did run into one little thing the board wants in addition to the usual 24 pin plug 2x 8pin power plugs and I have yet to see a power supply that actually has that. I ended up using a Seasonic Focus GM-650, 650W 80+ Gold PSU and it only has 1 of the right power plugs. So far the system is nice and cool and stable but I am not overclocking anything at this point and in fact I am not even using the built in wifi the board comes with so I am hoping that won’t me too much of an issue.

Also that Meshify C case is nice but I don’t particularly care for how the glass panel mounts it just seems that its a break waiting to happen but that could just be my bias on such things too. Everything fit but it was rather tight. The cable management of the case was excellent however and very well designed even though I am not the uber cable tying guru I was more than satisfied with how it came out.

So far its whisper quiet and from what I can tell so far is running with 54c on the CPU, 37c on the motherboard, 30c on the NVME Drives and 49c on the GPU at idle. Running the Heaven Benchmark with a windowed 2560x1080 4xAA running the CPU jumps to 59/60C and the GPU up to 54c and I find that entirely acceptable with not even ramping up the fans one bit.

At any rate I thank everyone for the feedback and suggestions I have gotten.

PS when I put in my new workbench I will see about some non-potato pics as the ones I did already are just meh so far.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.