Planetscale kills free tier

buddy I almost deleted your user and banned your ip from making an account if I hadn’t checked that you made your account 4 years ago

please put more effort into your topics than pasting a single link with no discussion question, that’s downright bot behavior

Sorry! I will do better! I sorta rage posted- thats on me. I’m pretty upset they rug pulled the free tier and started charging the $40. Thanks for sparing my account.

1 Like

Should you want to just link dump news articles in the future

—> News Story Dump Thread - Stories Only

1 Like

Install Percona and DIY?

Actually, apparently this is what Planetscale is built on… it seems to be open source with docker images available…

1 Like

yeah i looked into it. I am weighing all of my options rn and I wasn’t aware of Percona so thanks for the tip.

I know Percona used to be “the thing” shortly after Sun (MySQL) got bought up by Oracle, I don’t know (and doubt) if that’s still true today, but there are a litany of guides on how to set it up even at places like Linode so… it may be the easier option (though probably without NoSQL features of Vitess - this may have been an important feature for your use case).

For newer stuff I came across Supabase the other day, seems to be a self-hosted Firebase replacement (which I’ve seen mentioned as a competitor to PlanetScale).

1 Like