Plan 9 looks so cool

That’s the kinda shit I’m into. Annoyingly enough I don’t think I’ll ever work in that sector.

Eh, you never know, one can use plumbing parts as fiber conduits, one thing leads to another… next thing you know you’ll be rebuilding your gRPC app to add a “sudomeasandwich” method.

2 Likes

Yeah to be clear I’m not saying plan9 isn’t cool, etc.

I’m just more of an OS pragmatist these days (I did run fringe platforms for a while 1-2 decades ago but these days I can’t be bothered dealing with it) when it comes to what I run on my own hardware :slight_smile:

When basic stuff like web browsing becomes awkward or impractical, it’s just not going to be usable for me. The underlying design is interesting though.

The only fringe system I really consider worth it anymore would be amiga based tech.

1 Like

Going to actually install this today. Had a few hectic days and my thinkpad has a bios virus I don’t wanna deal with.

Wikipedia isn’t always accurate on tech stuff that were more of limited use or experimental OS. Lucent if I recall started dumping ex-Bell Labs into EOL/Opensource around the time period of spinning off their video conferencing division Avya and later being eaten by Alcatel. (Wikipedia also had sloppy history on other OSes, when some company bought the Palm brand off HP many people thought WebOS would return but WebOS was sold to LG and turned into a SmartTV/Smart Appliance OS)

I remember seeing Plan 9 being used on a Pentium II or Pentium III back in the day. Never really surprising that so many ex-Bell Labs developers continued onto other distributed computing projects elsewhere. The same happened with many Digital Corp employees who went onto networked devices/server platforms.

3 Likes