Places to get cheap replacement PCs?

My brother’s old Intel Core i5 i5-4670 appears to be kill. Power button doesn’t work nor does shorting it.

Replacing the PSU with a known good PSU doesn’t work either or anything really I have tried. Most other things that could be wrong would at least have the fans spin up a bit first so I’m going to go ahead and assume that either the CPU or motherboard is kill.

Anyways he doesn’t game nearly as much these days and I remember the old liquidation PCs. I can’t find where that was and he really just needs a cheap computer.

The HDD that was in the build works and I assume the SSD as well but my USB thing doesn’t work for SSDs with windows OSs so I haven’t tested it. His GPU was a 7870 Myst so it was old AF anyways.

Under $300 would prob be ideal. (He is on shitty teacher pay)

Cheers

So let me get this straight:
You have Had and you have the graphics card?
Can you still use the case?
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($107.72 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $285.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-05 20:12 EST-0500

Yeah I can still use the case.

The GPU should work… I haven’t tested it but it prob works still… Testing it would require me to shut my computer down and I haven’t felt like doing it.

I’ll ask him if he wants to do it that way.

Chances are probably good it’s the motherboard unless someone did something stupid while overclocking. Couldn’t you just buy a z97 motherboard for half what you are looking to spend?

Have you done all the basic troubleshooting? Removed all extra hardware, 1 stick of ram… breadboard it… etc?

When I searched for z97 motherboards it looked like they are hard to find unless I just suck at searching.

It could technically be the CPU but that is such a low chance that I dunno.

It wasn’t OCed btw.

And yeah I breadboarded it the best that I could. The fans didn’t even spin no matter what I did.

Well, you can still go second hand and find something cheap…
Those parts I’ve offered are low low end…

1 Like

I just talked to him again and it sounds like what we will do is just pick a motherboard up. I just am having a hard time finding one on amazon seeing how the chipset is super old.

Check also Z87 as well. They are backwards compatible…

http://www.macofalltrades.com

Always my top recommendation with craigslist directly after. They scrub through them and make them as new as they can again. Getting a macbook with a GT330 and a nice screen isn’t hard, and he can play some gaems if he really wanted.

1 Like

I was just using pcpartpicker’s compatibility thing after adding his CPU. All of the $60 motherboards are OOS though :frowning:

Also I’ll prob get it from amazon because of shipping speed (we have time) and I don’t really like newegg anymore.

But then he would have to get a mac.

Well I mean you didn’t specify otherwise and MoaT is the best place I know for a not shit used laptop online.

Well I did say PC in the title but :man_shrugging:

But yeah everything looks like it is OOS for the motherboards >.>

I picked up this motherboard as amazon live chat says that it will be in stock in about a week and my brother is okay with waiting.

Thanks for the help guys.

Well yeah every miner and his grandma are buying all the cheap mobo’s rn. As well as the people who are trying to afford half way decent GPU’s to play counter strike.

Next time just search ebay for an old dell or hp machine.

If he can suffer SSF form factor, he could have had an entire system for the price of that motherboard.

A decent setup is ~the $300 mark, inherent limitations exclude hardcore gaming of course.

Only warning, do not buy older than haswell because of the intel security flaw patch support is dicey before that point.

1 Like

I would have went with this

60 bucks