Ping and DHCP

nah not a stupid answer :) at least you were honest about the extent of what you knew of the why.

Could a certain area be set for the host to reject? Like say there is Area A, B, C, and D... google allows the stations to respond to A, B, and D. But, not C.

Is that such a thing?

That could be done, but I doubt your only 3 hops from google datacenter. So hop 3 likely is still in your ISPs network...

How far would you say each hop is? Like a certain distance as we portray distance in the physical sense.

No, a hop is not a physical distance.. its a logical distance. Like a router or network bridge. Imagine one hop can be in NY the next hop can be in London for excample.
On the other hand one hop is your PC and the next hop is your router... see hops can be anything in physical distance

the more hops between you and your target the longer the logical way around the network is

ah okay :) thanx for being helpful. So if i am three hops away that would mean i am darn close and that is most likely not true.

when i did amazon i think i was like 8 hops away and then that is where i pretty much get the rejection.