Linux Phone Hub

Let’s kick back and chat about Linux phones. Anyone is welcome rather you own one or not.

Devices

Currently Produced:

Librem 5
PinePhone (Probably all the OSs)

Notes:
Use Jumpdrive to flash OSs to the eMMC storage in the PinePhone.

Specs:

• CPU - Allwinner A64 Quad Core SoC
  • GPU - Mali 400 MP2
  • RAM - 2 or 3GB LPDDR3
  • Storage - 16 or 32GB eMMC + Micro SD up to 2TB
  • Screen - 5.95″ LCD 1440×720, 18:9 aspect ratio

Price: $150 or $200

Links:
[OS Options] [Jumpdrive] [Specs] [Buy]

Volla Phone (UT, Sailfish OS, pmOS)

Phone is based on the Gigaset GS290

Links:
[Officel] [Ubuntu Touch] [Specs] [Buy]

Past:

Nexus 5 (UT)

Carriers ending support soon

Links:
[Specs] [Ubuntu Touch]

Nexus 7 2013 WiFi & LTE (UT)

Not very usable IMO

[Specs] [Ubuntu Touch (WiFi)] [Ubuntu Touch (LTE)]

Pixel 3a (UT)

I daily this phone.

[My Review] [Specs] [Ubuntu Touch]

UT=Ubuntu Touch
pmOS=postmarketOS

Links:

I am NOT affiliated with any links or products I share

16 Likes

Unfamiliar with linux ? The phone might represent a giant leap…

Personally I am waiting for them to nail down the whole premise of existing.

8 Likes

Yup, I understand that it’s a pretty large leap, but the phone’s so affordable I’m not worried about it, and I’m learning a little, and having fun playing with it. I’d say it’s worth it IMO.

It’ll also be fun to see how the OS’es evolve over time.

Not Apple or Google. That’s good enough for me.

3 Likes

I am all for exploring and learning… I am just waiting for the basic premise to work well. Then I am in…

I suspect the major phone carriers are not going to wanna play ball.

4 Likes

I’m unfamiliar with Linux, but feel free to ask me any questions about it

How does the physical hardware feel, in your opinion?

It comes with a screen protector that feels plastic, and I’m probably not going to remove it for now.
The back cover is made out of plastic and it feels pretty cheap IMO.

I do like the clean design aside from the big UBports logo that kills that clean design. Looks easy to remove though, which I will likely try.

Over all it feels cheap, but if you look at it without touching it looks pretty good.

1 Like

Do you miss all the apps on the big two phone OS’s?

that was my only drawback from an MX4.

I presume video playback from Youtube etc is okay?

wouldn’t it be funny if OP was Louis Rossmann

8 Likes

It is… judging by the sound and the comments. At least the beginning of the vid :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They’ll never be sold direct by carriers but in Europe at least that doesn’t matter (assuming they can become profitable) as there’s no real requirement for ‘carrier support’

1 Like

Lol. I wasn’t that bad. I did boot it up with the tape on the phone, but when I realized it wasn’t charging I knew what to do. They really should have used plastic that wasn’t completely clear.

edit: That guy sounds like a dick… I wouldn’t ban anyone for seemingly trying to help.
Also sounds like he’s trying way to hard to sound smart.

Replied with PinePhone, running Manjaro Phosh.

3 Likes

Nope, because I still daily my Android.

Replied with PinePhone, running Manjaro Phosh.

I did a thing, but this OS is not daily-able. Though it’s my favorite so far.

I think I’m going to need to pickup another sim. I can’t put my sim in something so unusable.

All the above done on PinePhone running Manjaro Phosh.

Picture from Android since I can’t be bothered to setup up a screenshot tool that may or may not exist:

5 Likes

Mint has them for cheap

3 Likes

I can see why… Thats the full on firefox desktop app running. Whats the bets its using up all your ram.

I have a funny feeling that the reason it may be slow is because the software is likely horribly un-optimised and there are few if any programs made for the device.

As far as i can tell these ARM distros have the same problem a number of distros have. The team are compiler teams, the build the source code for the platform. They dont engineer programs for the specific platform, so the programs were never specifically made or altered to be tailored for these kind of devices that really need highly optimised and efficient code.

I bet you could make this phone blazing fast if you stripped out all the cruft

4 Likes

This is why I’m tempted. :thinking:

Was the Ubuntu touch environment stable? I enjoyed it on my op3, but it wasn’t stable.

3 Likes

Those plans are cheap. I’ll keep them in mind, but for now I just went to a local story and got one from there. Thanks though!

I’ll have to look into this. It did come with another mobile focused browser, but it seemed even worse.

I’ll give it another shot, but it’s definitely not my distro of choice. I didn’t spend enough time with it to answer that now.

Can confirm Manjaro Phosh can make and receive calls or texts even when it’s sleeping. This experience is pretty good, but the the sound quality is fairly bad, though completely understandable.

1 Like

Hmmm, sounds like we’re getting close on Manjaro.

What a world that an Arch spin is the standard of stability. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

BRB installing dwm on the pinephone.

3 Likes

I mean… its better than the other options.

I wonder how hard it would be to have a custom sms app, phone app, keyboard and minimal ui specific for the platform. bet it would be nice and speedy

3 Likes