Pimp my nas

My goal is to use raid + zfs + nfs + kerberos via a 1GbE connection.
ATM I can pull data up to 100Mbit/s only (tested w/ CAT5e and Netgear ProSave Gigabit Switch GS108)
Mostly I have stored backups, videos and music on mysrv and I want to add some VM containers in the future.

Mysrv looks like this …

• ga-n3150n-d3v (motherboard)
  • Intel Quad-Core Celeron N3150 SoC (1.6 GHz) w/ 2MB Cache
  • 2x Kingston KVR16LS11/4 (4GB DDR3L Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM 1,35V, 204-pin 1,5V)
  • 4x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (two of them run through ASMedia ASM1061 chip)
  • PCI slot (maybe for a Raid-Controller to add more SATA Slots)
  • 2x Realtek GbE LAN chips (10/100/1000 Mbit)
  • 2x 3TB WD Red
  • Debian 9 Stretch
    And I use two Toshiba 3TB external Disks to backup mysrv.

I can add up to two disks for storage and additional four disk via a pci-raid-controller.
7TB of zfs storage (w/ 7Gbit of RAM) should be enuff for my purpose and I want get rid of my Toshibas.

Can I have some advice how to setup mysrv and how to speed up data transfer for my most used files and for fast upload ?

If you want to use ZFS do not use raid at the same time.

Either get a RAID card and make an array then run EXT4 or the like on top of it, or use plain disks with ZFS. ZFS does have built in support for what is effectively software RAID.

You can get an LSI chipset sas card, and a SAS to sata breakout cable for under $40 on eBay, then, if desired, flash it to the non-raid firmware to use with disks that have ZFS.

What @TheCakeIsNaOH said. Dell Perc H200 or H310’s flashed to IT mode make great cheap HBAs with SFF-8087 to 4x Sata Connectors for ZFS. ZFS needs direct access to the hard drives; it can’t be muddled by RAID cards

1 Like

i endorse the comments on avoiding RAID controllers.

@Suleiman are you saying you can’t get 1Gb/s now?

“My goai … via 1 1GbE connection” and “I can pull data up to 100Mbit/s”

and that you want to be able to get 1Gb/s after reconfiguration?

If you are transferring via a file transfer program, it is probably reporting in Bytes/s, not bits/s? So are you really getting 100Mb/s? or are you getting 100MB/s, which is suspiciously similar to 1Gb/s already? Maybe you should test with iperf/iperf3?

If you are thinking of using jumbo ethernet frames, make sure you don’t go over the limit supported by your LAN chips , not all LAN chips support 9000 MTU.